Wot Should I Do? Pls Help

dingweding

Fishaholic
Reaction score
As a student, i live in a very small room, struggle to find space to put my tanks. After i read a thread about tanking crash, i was scared, one of my new set up 25L nano tank was put on book shelf. Which is that kinda very cheap book shelf, i noticed, the right and left side of tank bottom were on the shelf, but there is a slight small gap between the shelf board and the tank bottom, :crazy:

so that shelf board must be arch shape, not totally flat now. It could be very dangerous, so wot should i do? i can not find other place to put the tank. If i put somthing like bubble wrap under the tank, will it help?

Pls help, i think i could not sleep tonite :sick:

As a student, i live in a very small room, struggle to find space to put my tanks. After i read a thread about tanking crash, i was scared, one of my new set up 25L nano tank was put on book shelf. Which is that kinda very cheap book shelf, i noticed, the right and left side of tank bottom were on the shelf, but there is a slight small gap between the shelf board and the tank bottom, :crazy:

so that shelf board must be arch shape, not totally flat now. It could be very dangerous, so wot should i do? i can not find other place to put the tank. If i put somthing like bubble wrap under the tank, will it help?

Pls help, i think i could not sleep tonite :sick:

why don't you put it or get a counter. the bookshelf will eventually break and you might as well try something else. bubble wrap won't make a difference because it is the weight issue. be careful when moving your tank! i would say it is best to bag up the fish, empty the water, move the empty tank and refill it. the water will be fine as the filter media is the same (but leave about 15 mins for the water to get right. but, you might want to only to a 2/3 water change.

why don't you put it or get a counter.

If only i have the space! there are already tank everywhere! The shelf is only space i left, and i thought it is a small tank, it should be fine, but now i know the bottom is uneven, did not get enough support.

Will styrofoam sheet helps?

Can you get a longish piece of wood or shelving to sit on your book shelf, with the tank on top? This would then perhaps help to spread the weight if the added wood was able to go over the ends of the shelf slightly. Does that make sense? :rolleyes:

Actually, is this just a shelf attached to a wall or a bookcase type shelf that stands on the floor?

If it's just attached to the wall, sounds a bit risky and could well come off in which case you really do need to take it off. However, if it seems firmly attached and it's only misshapen, the extra wood may help.

Can you get a longish piece of wood or shelving to sit on your book shelf, with the tank on top? This would then perhaps help to spread the weight if the added wood was able to go over the ends of the shelf slightly. Does that make sense? :rolleyes:

Actually, is this just a shelf attached to a wall or a bookcase type shelf that stands on the floor?

If it's just attached to the wall, sounds a bit risky and could well come off in which case you really do need to take it off. However, if it seems firmly attached and it's only misshapen, the extra wood may help.

Thanks for help, it is that kinda 6-layer bookshelf you can buy from argos, but not made from porper wood, just polywood.
i do not know how heavy it can stand for. Because i think i could put so many books on it, a small tank only 25kg should be fine. But now i was scard, i think put some styrofoam might help to evenly distribut the weight?

I drain 30% water, but there is still gap between tank bottom and shelf board :angry:

try to get extra piece of wood which is alot thicker than the origanal shelf an either replace it or place the thicker piece underneath attached to both sides of the bookshelf, (nails Screws) but prob best to do this while tank not on the shelf!!!!
Failing that i'd put the tank on the floor, at least it can't fall! ;)

try to get extra piece of wood which is alot thicker than the origanal shelf an either replace it or place the thicker piece underneath attached to both sides of the bookshelf, (nails Screws) but prob best to do this while tank not on the shelf!!!!
Failing that i'd put the tank on the floor, at least it can't fall! ;)

where can i get this kind of wood? B&Q? i hope i could put the tank on the floor, but that will make it look owful :unsure:

Get rid of the bookshelf it sounds like its bowing under the weight.

Go to B&Q get yourself four breeze blocks and a couple of planks of decent wood cut to the right size.

Get an old sheet - set up the blocks to support the wood (check wtih a spirit level), put the sheet over neatly to hide the blocks, planks on, tank on, sorted!

Em

Most reactions

Back