Won't Eat Anything But Fd Brine Shrimp

SoCalMom

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I had given Alfie freezed dried brine shrimp a few times in the beginning as a treat. Now he won't eat anything but that! I've tried everything I can think of. BettaMin tropical medley flakes, sun dried baby gammarus shrimp, sun dried brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, Hikari bio gold pellets, even a pea. He spits it all back out

I just don't know what to do

I don't want him getting sick or constipated; but that's ALL he'll eat!

Any food I've missed?

I had given Alfie freezed dried brine shrimp a few times in the beginning as a treat. Now he won't eat anything but that! I've tried everything I can think of. BettaMin tropical medley flakes, sun dried baby gammarus shrimp, sun dried brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, Hikari bio gold pellets, even a pea. He spits it all back out

Any food I've missed?

Fast him. :) Fast him untill he eats his normal staple again, and then go back to giving it to ihm only as a treat. He'll be fine, and he'll get over his snooty taste in food when he's hungry. Lol.

Any food I've missed?

Fast him. :) Fast him untill he eats his normal staple again, and then go back to giving it to ihm only as a treat. He'll be fine, and he'll get over his snooty taste in food when he's hungry. Lol.

Duh...I didn't even think of that lmao

How long should I fast him for?

Any food I've missed?

Duh...I didn't even think of that lmao

How long should I fast him for?

Till he starts eating again. Should only be a few days untill he gives up. Lol. :)

I agree, he's being picky because you introduced the snack, just fast him and try in a day or two with the usual food, still use the brine shrimp, just less often and he shouldn't get too fussy again

i had/have the same problem. lol
all I gotta say is be patient, my little guy went over a week without eating my normal flakes because all he wanted was brine shrimp. depending on how stubborn they are, it might take a while, and i hated it, its scary when they are not eating.

Ok...his fast started this morning

I feel soooo bad not feeding him, though :(

He keeps swimming up to the front and shimmying around when he sees me

My boy Sora wont eat anything but pellets >< he wont even attempt to eat flakes or bloodworms. Well, I guess he doesn't mind the sun dried shrimp.

i only feed my fish just the tropical flakes should i be feeding them other food too ? i have a painted an moon an a sword an a male betta

Ok...his fast started this morning

I feel soooo bad not feeding him, though :(

He keeps swimming up to the front and shimmying around when he sees me

It's a test of will. His vs yours. With my last Betta, Rocket it took me almost 2 months to get him eating pellets. Mostly because I would always give in after 4 or 5 days and give him the bloodworm he wanted. With my current Betta He's as stubborn as me and won't even look at the pellets.. or flakes... or anything but bloodworm :p

On the bright side, Rocket did start taking pellets after the third or fourth time I fasted him. And once he started eating them, he was more than happy to do so regularly. Then the bloodworm became a treat as it should have been.

If it's any consolation - Kai, my current Betta is going through a fast to try and wean him onto pellets. Maybe we can both be strong and outlast our fishy friends :D

Hector needs to just go on a diet >< he's got a little pot belly.

don't fed him for 2 days, i think him not die. Then only fed him with any foods that u want...
try to treat him so that more time...he will be better!

Arghhhhhh

After two days of fasting, I tried feeding Alfie this morning

No dice. Still only wants the fd brine shrimp

What a stubborn little twit

I told him he's gonna get flushed if he doesn't eat his flakes. He just flared at me :rolleyes:

Hector needs to just go on a diet >< he's got a little pot belly.

This post concerned me. Betta's dont get fat bellies, they get fat all over, which can lead to extreme health problems.
what you're describing is overfeeding and can really hurt your betta by leading to constipation and bloating, which could end up as SBD or other diseases.
Be careful when feeding your finned friends, and try not to overdo it. They will thank you for it.

Any food I've missed?
What about frozen bloodworms? Shouldnt be used as a staple but i cant see any betta really refusing those :good:

Drew

Most reactions

Back