Woman Jailed Over Tail Dockings

Can't believe she used the excuse "I didn't know what I was doing was wrong". 10 years is too little for her, banned from all animals forever and a massive donation to a dog charity would've been better

nice!!! not, How anyone could cut a tail off with sissors!!! I dont like docking full stop really. humane or otherwise.

Sorry , But i just dont think its necessary anymore.

Becky

i'm sorry, but that excuse is bull. If she didn't think it was wrong she would have gone to a vet to get it done. And honestly, scissors? Regardless of any opinions you have about docking, the use of scissors to do it is especially awful, they're so dull!

I don't believe that any dog should ever have thier tail docked. Animals look beautiful the way they are born and don't need to be altered!

That is absalutley discusting!!! i do not know how ant human bein could ever do that to such a poor deffensless little animal! her sentance is way to short, and yes she should be banned from owning any animal for life! no i dont believe any animal should have their tails docked, unless for mediacl reasons, like lambs etc.

Not long enough. Minimum 5years jail. If I had my way, she'd be laying 6 feet under. People hurting animals = People dead.

vile Practice, even for vets!
if they do this to their prized animals. my god how do these people treat their kids?

"Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, tail docking is illegal unless carried out by a vet for medical reasons, or to a certified working dog."

This law/statement above i agree with, but i very much disagree with tail docking purely for cosmetic/appearances purposes.

One of the joys of owning a dog is to see it look up at you & wag it's tail at you....ten years is a decent sentence considering the previous sentences for animal cruelty

Is such a cruel practice for any animal, like when they used to do it to horses, I mean at the end of the day they are cutting a bone! You wouldn't cut a human's leg off just so it looked good! 10 years is a better sentence than some but still not enough in my eyes.........

1) you forget that "scissors" is a general term that includes everything from nubby little sewing scissors to the powerful kitchen scissors that one uses to cut apart chickens.

2) the puppies were 1 day old when docked, meaning that the docking occurred well before the tails would have finished calcifying and before full development of the nerves

3) the docking was discovered a month after the fact and not due to any medical complications. from the sounds of it, someone merely told the authorities that she had broken the law.

4) punishing the breeder does nothing to alleviate the fact that everyone buying her puppies wanted a docked tail. there really ought to be a companion law that demands people owning docked animals to pay an annual fee. it wouldn't hard to enforce, since docked animals are readily identified and it would be easy enough to create certificates just like those given out with rabies vaccines. it would also generate a continual source of revenue for the government as opposed to the expense associated with putting a 50 yr-old woman in jail.

5) I cannot believe the lack of sympathy that you guys have for an older woman who has just lost all rights to her pets. How many of you were perfect fish-keepers when you first showed up here? Did you realize that neon tetras should live for 10 years or that iridescent sharks grow to be 3 feet long? It's the same principle here. Up until last year, it was considered an acceptable practice to dock puppies. This woman just didn't get the memo. And now she's being excoriated and losing her pets and you can't have one once of sympathy for her?! Most of you even pity hoarders, who by definition cannot take care of their animals and allow them to wallow neglected in filth. Look at that puppy. Except for the missing tail (which is even docked properly), he looks perfectly healthy. Remember, if these puppies were being sold as "working dogs", then these charges would not even have been brought.

6) I support the ban on cosmetic docking. Full stop. But have an ounce of concern for the otherwise loving and caring owners who will inevitably be prosecuted and lose their pets because they didn't understand that your government meant business about this. It's going to take several years for people to understand that docked puppies are not going to be sold any more. Until that understanding permeates even to people buying their very first dog, there's going to be economic pressure on breeders to dock. And there will be breeders caving to that pressure.

Remember, if docking was actually horrific and brutal, then it would be considered animal cruelty in all cases without exception. But it's not. The dangers and pain associated with docking are debatable and little can be proven by either side. The most convincing argument against it is that dogs that have been docked are problematic to socialize with other dogs due to impaired body language. There is little to counter that argument, except to argue safety and worry about potential adult amputation of working dogs' tails (which is actually dangerous and definitely leads to chronic pain). Thus, docking for cosmetic reasons is unjustified and docking for functional reasons is still debatable.

Her not getting the memo is no excuse, just like the article says "Ignorance is no excuse"
She broke the law and got punished for it, and I am glad.

Drew

WERE DOGS BORN WITH TAILS? YES! SO WHY SHOULD HUMANS BE ALLOWED TO CHANGE THE WAY DOGS LOOK? WE CHANGE ALOT OF THINGS IN THE WORLD AND WE HAVE MADE MAYBE 5% OF THOSE CHANGES FOR GOOD. AS A WHOLE, THE WORLD WOULD OF BEEN A BETTER PLACE WITHOUT HUMANS.

Sorry for the caps, but people piss me off sometimes

Most reactions

Back