Will My Betta Tolerate Other Species

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ozymandias

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a fancy guppy for my tank.  Will my betta attack him like another betta.  I have neon tetras now with him and no problems, but fancy tail species worry me.

It depends on the betta's personality, and the other fish too.
I have heard of neon tetras nipping bettas a lot so am glad they are being nice to your fellow.

Guppies I've heard some success stories but most of the time would say no. It just doesn't seem worth the risk.
The betta may go after it due to the long flowy finnage & bright colors, or the guppy may attack the betta.

I had mine in with neons, ghost shrimp and endlers but he was a really calm betta so yeah it all depends on what they are like.

I have found as a general rule that betta go after fish that in some way resemble another male betta. 

I recommend staying away from any fish that has flowing fins or a similar body shape.

Agree, depends on the betta's personality, as well as tankmates. Have mine with black neons, he ignores, but are going in the bigger tank. And neons which he chased at first, but grew bored with, as they are too fast. Some fin nipping is caused by fish in too small a group.
But as a general rule, no flowing fins, noted fin nippers, or other labarynthines, such as gouramis.
As for shrimp, depends on the betta. Mine ignores the ghost shrimp.

You may want to try a swordtail or platy.  Bigger and faster

Thanks to all who've responded.  Maybe I'll reconsider the guppy....not worth the risk.

I have had the most luck with non nippy tetras like glo lights. Remember, you have to consider the personality of all the fish not just the one. Some bettas would not mind other fish but can become nipped by things such as guppies and platys, especially the males.

I've been wondering if I could add some Norman's Lampeyes with my betta (also I keep some in my other tank so they'd have somewhere to move to if it didn't work out).  They don't seem to be nippy at all.. but I wonder if maybe they are too small and the betta might attack them.

My Betta was actually being terrorized by Neons, I'm happy yours is fine in there!
I have heard horror stories with Bettas and Fancy Guppies, and I think you are right in reconsidering this!
You can always try with a feeder Guppy tho.
Altho, all of Bettas are different.

A simple rule to follow with most Bettas is this: If it's pretty, it dies. Betta fish will also attack anything that nips it's fins, so fish like tiger barbs or black tetras may die to.

Catfishlover said:
A simple rule to follow with most Bettas is this: If it's pretty, it dies. Betta fish will also attack anything that nips it's fins, so fish like tiger barbs or black tetras may die to.
I'd see the barbs killing the betta before the betta killed them. :( It's not always the betta.

Catfishlover said:

This is not exactly true.  Yes most brightly colored fish paired with a betta will be in danger of having the betta attack it especially if the fish has longer fins.  On the other hand, some of these fish are actually not great to be put in with bettas because they are bad fin nippers themselves and will tear a betta's fins up and possibly stress them out to the point of death.  Just because a fish is listed as not acceptable for a tank mate with a betta does not mean that the betta would be the aggressor in that situation.   And there are the instances where the betta is the most peaceful fish in the tank so it is not really "fair" to say that the betta will kill any pretty fish put in with it.

Most reactions

Back