Will A Blue Lobster Attack My Neons Or Plecs?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I wouldn't because plecos are slow moving fish and the lobster will be all over that if it sees the pleco near him. They aren't aggressive, but they will catch, kill and eat slow moving fish.

hi ive seen these blue lobsters and they look amazing, just wondered wether it would be safe to add him to my tank (3ftx1ftx1.5ft) 10 neons, 2 plecs.

pic can be seen here-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLUE-LOBSTERS-Live-T...oQQcmdZViewItem
Interesting seller(in2fishtoday), he's got lots of fish and even some advice on what they could be kept with, but no adult size, eg a 7-9cm Black Ghost Knife Fish sounds great, what about when it's 20". I know it's not an unusual situation but still :shout:

(This comment is in no ways directed at you firefighter, just I'm in a bad mood and needed to rant!)

Gordon

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
hi ive seen these blue lobsters and they look amazing, just wondered wether it would be safe to add him to my tank (3ftx1ftx1.5ft) 10 neons, 2 plecs.

pic can be seen here-

Interesting seller(in2fishtoday), he's got lots of fish and even some advice on what they could be kept with, but no adult size, eg a 7-9cm Black Ghost Knife Fish sounds great, what about when it's 20". I know it's not an unusual situation but still :shout:

(This comment is in no ways directed at you firefighter, just I'm in a bad mood and needed to rant!)

Gordon

ha, yeah you can never trust a seller, thats why i asked a few questions on here, so i could get some advice from the pro's.

pic can be seen here-

first off, that aint a legal cray to keep in the uk, though i believe getting a special licence may not be such a problem, in wales. All fish are at risk to a cray! they are incredibly fast. some people do keep them in community's. but it is a very big risk, and not worth it for most.

**BEWARE** Silly Question Alert **BEWARE**

Just out of curiosity..... how reliable is it to buy fish from places like Ebay?

Most places offer warranties and they ship fish over night usually. If there isn't a warranty I would say don't do it. The only way I would ever buy fish off line is if a. I lived super far from a pet store or b. It was a really rare fish. Not worth the risk to me because say the fish does die you still have to pay shipping both ways...

i've heard of them killing and eating tetras before. may not be the best idea. and the first guy was right, plecs are pretty slow.
i would love to have some too

so do people just keep little lobsters like this on their own? what do they eat??

they get kept on their own, again if you go for a legal cray, in the uk, you will need a tank of minimum 20ukg, but 30 and above is better. they need hides, caves, pipes and that sort of thing. they are into tank rescaping, big time. escape is also a well known hobby of the cray. they eat anything, but mine loves: fresh peas, not boiled, just skinned, cucumber, plec ground pellets, fresh chicken, roast,and fish flake. i would advise you avoid bloodworm, as they are very high in fat. i have also heard it said, a fair amount of bacteria too!
lol you say little :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: a redclaw will grow to 5 to 8 inches, and that's just nose to tail, add 2 or 3 inches for the claws. and a further 8 inches for its antenna :crazy: :crazy: not really that small. they can live for 3-8 years, but 4 to 6 seems average.

just a personal comment: plecs may be slow, but they are also armoured, i have 3 in my tank, of all my fish they are the ones that i worry about least. having said that, if a cray wants a fish it will get it, but then a cray with that disposition should not be in a tank with fish.

so do people just keep little lobsters like this on their own? what do they eat??

they get kept on their own, again if you go for a legal cray, in the uk, you will need a tank of minimum 20ukg, but 30 and above is better. they need hides, caves, pipes and that sort of thing. they are into tank rescaping, big time. escape is also a well known hobby of the cray. they eat anything, but mine loves: fresh peas, not boiled, just skinned, cucumber, plec ground pellets, fresh chicken, roast,and fish flake. i would advise you avoid bloodworm, as they are very high in fat. i have also heard it said, a fair amount of bacteria too!
lol you say little :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: a redclaw will grow to 5 to 8 inches, and that's just nose to tail, add 2 or 3 inches for the claws. and a further 8 inches for its antenna :crazy: :crazy: not really that small. they can live for 3-8 years, but 4 to 6 seems average.

just a personal comment: plecs may be slow, but they are also armoured, i have 3 in my tank, of all my fish they are the ones that i worry about least. having said that, if a cray wants a fish it will get it, but then a cray with that disposition should not be in a tank with fish.

thanks for the detailed reply boboboy, amazing creatures, and not so little after all, i forget that the ones you see in the lfs are only babies. sounds like they need an extensive setup too, im more of a fish man just wanted to know if i could have a "legal" cray fish in the bottom of my tank but after these answers i dont think it would be fair to the fish or the not so little lobster :-

Most reactions

Back