Wild Livebearer..

Dakota Ice

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Well, I needed something to cycle my tank, and my mother wouldnt buy me anything just to give it back, so I headed out with my net and caught a few of these fish out of a puddle by a local elementary school.. There were hundreds, some of them were quite large.. I caught about 12 to 15, most of them small males, a few large females.. This is the EXACT fish:

gambusia.jpg

They say it is a Gambusia, but all the other pictures of supposed Gambusia don't have the black marking on the eye.. Any idea what it is?

looks liek a guppy :/ dont take my word though - just looks liek one :dunno:

but i highly doubt there are wild guppies in TN :rofl:

cluster said:
looks liek a guppy :/ dont take my word though - just looks liek one :dunno:

but i highly doubt there are wild guppies in TN :rofl:
I know its not a guppy, but it IS some kind of livebearer.. I've kept guppies for years now, I'm sure this isnt a guppy.. but thanks for the reply. :p

Because most likely it will cycle faster and more realistically, with real fish.. plus it keeps the cycling process more interesting. If the fish die, it wouldn't be the end of the world.. I didn't pay for them.

Its a Gambusia :)

There wild mosquito fish

There livebearers as u can see the female is the top fish the male the bottom

This is like a guppy but its way colorless

If u want a profile just ask.... :thumbs:

Dakota Ice said:
Because most likely it will cycle faster and more realistically, with real fish.. plus it keeps the cycling process more interesting. If the fish die, it wouldn't be the end of the world.. I didn't pay for them.
Wow.....you are kidding me right? Just because you didn't pay for them means that knowingly putting their lives in danger is acceptable???!!! You pulled them directly from their natural habitat, to cycle your aquarium....some people have a problem with wild caught fish in aquariums, period, but what you are saying is completely ignorant and unnacceptable IMO. I won't go any further in fear that I may get in trouble for aggression, but I am disgusted to say the least. Money. :grr:

What are you going to do with them when you are done? True many people still cycle with fish, but there are more humane ways now, and a wild fish is certainly not the best choice. Sorry, I just think it's really sad that you value life based on cost :/

Yes a mosquito fish (Gambusia)

They're like carnivorous demon guppies on crack.

They will attack every thing in a tank and rip it apart.

They're currently decimating the native fish populations of several countries after being introduced to waterways in a misguided attempt to control mosquitos.

Needless to say, I'd quite like a tank full. :D

SirMinion said:
Yes a mosquito fish (Gambusia)

They're like carnivorous demon guppies on crack.

They will attack every thing in a tank and rip it apart.

They're currently decimating the native fish populations of several countries after being introduced to waterways in a misguided attempt to control mosquitos.

Needless to say, I'd quite like a tank full. :D
what?!??!?!?!

down here in aus theyre sold as feeder fish,(but i dont buy them because of diseases) theyre the weekest little fishies around here,

freshmike said:
Dakota Ice said:
Wow.....you are kidding me right? Just because you didn't pay for them means that knowingly putting their lives in danger is acceptable???!!! You pulled them directly from their natural habitat, to cycle your aquarium....some people have a problem with wild caught fish in aquariums, period, but what you are saying is completely ignorant and unnacceptable IMO. I won't go any further in fear that I may get in trouble for aggression, but I am disgusted to say the least. Money. :grr:
Not that it makes much difference, but it's probably not their "natural habitat." I'm pretty sure most muisqueto fish in American waterways are the result of human introduction. Anyway, FM's still got a point about the money thing-- people are just going to be upset, with reason, when anyone says something like, "Who cares! I didn't pay for 'em!"

Though, at the same time, you g2 admit the lives of fish . . . especially livebearers . . . are pretty cheap, otherwise there'd be no such thing as the feeder fish practice . . .

Anyway, I'd just like to warn you about any diseases, algae and fungal spores, chemicals, or other bad things could be introduced to your tank and settled into your substrate, filter, water, tank walls, EVERYTHING, by the introduction of wild fish . . . that you CANNOT KNOW ABOUT

very risky in other words

freshmike said:
Dakota Ice said:
Does it sound like I'm kidding?

Why not? Its almost winter, they would probably die anyways, and there are MILLIONS. Plus, its not like I WANT to kill them; I simply wont cry day and night if they DO die. When I'm done I'll let them go in early spring, when its warm outside.

Why dont you grow up and realize that some people can't spend 10 dollars on feeder guppies?

Dakota Ice said:
freshmike said:
Dakota Ice said:
Does it sound like I'm kidding?

Why not? Its almost winter, they would probably die anyways, and there are MILLIONS. Plus, its not like I WANT to kill them; I simply wont cry day and night if they DO die. When I'm done I'll let them go in early spring, when its warm outside.

Why dont you grow up and realize that some people can't spend 10 dollars on feeder guppies?
taking animals out of there natural hbitat and releasing them back is HORRIBLE!

how would u like if u got separated from ur parents?

Cant even brake a 5 huh?

Most reactions

Back