Why You Want A Wavebox

Im looking at all of that water movement...couldn't that be extreemly hard on the structure of that tank? I've never had one and I don't want to do that math so I am clueless at best on this.

No, because the force is spread out over the entire surface area of the glass. Glass is extremely good at holding back uniform diffuse force, hence it makes an excellent material to build our tanks out of. Glass is not very effective at resisting point forces, shock, or impulses, but moving water like a wavebox produces none of those types of energy/force

Im looking at all of that water movement...couldn't that be extreemly hard on the structure of that tank? I've never had one and I don't want to do that math so I am clueless at best on this.
The instructions tell you that your tank must be made to a certain formula (whose name escapes me at the moment). Any suitably made tank (proper thickness with bracing) is going to be fine. If you have made the tank in a Heath Robinson way, with the glass and sealant at the very bottom of acceptability, then you may have issues.

On the cost part if you decided to time your powerheads would that not put stress on them turning on and off all the time? So then in essence it would not be that much more expensive if at all, especially from my understanding Tunze is a good brand.

Looks really cool, something to look forward too when I'm allowed more tanks

On the cost part if you decided to time your powerheads would that not put stress on them turning on and off all the time? So then in essence it would not be that much more expensive if at all, especially from my understanding Tunze is a good brand.

Continuously turning pumps on and off, or varying the amount of power to them, is generally a good way to shorten their lifespan. The Tunze pumps that are controllable all run off DC.

The pump in the Wavebox is actually only for pulse use (According to the instructions).

The formula a tank has to be built to is Timoshenko's formula. I have below attached the illustration and formula used in the Wavebox manual.

tf.gif

So it is as I thought. Interesting formula, though I'll have to look up what it all means.

Most reactions

Back