Why Is My Aquarium Water Not Crystal Clear?

http://www.apifishcare.com/products/Product.aspx?ProductID=90

Are there no instructions? If it's like Seachem Purigen, keep it in the mesh packet it comes in. If it comes loose, I would get a fine mesh bag to put it in. Otherwise, it will flow into the tank.

well I put it in, water has become extremely cloudy now, can't see the other side of the aquarium. will give it a few hours hopefully it starts working..

bought this one
http://www.amazon.com/API-Bio-Chem-Zorb-Size-4-Count/dp/B005BV0CF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357492450&sr=8-2&keywords=api+filter

as petco did not have the one in this package
http://www.apifishcare.com/products/Product.aspx?ProductID=90

Keep it in the bag. There are instructions on the back of the package. Should get you on your way :)

Def. the bogwood, I added a tiny little piece to my tank and it darkened it pretty quickly. I do weekly water changes and that helps, but it still darkens, but less and less with time.

BigFish, it's funny you say that b.c I go to my petsmart for a lot of things (def. not advice though lol) and the petco is closer, but their tanks are all horrible here too! I only use them for emergencies (they're much closer) and the cheap bogwood
smile.png
Yeah they are not good for advice. but when i'm there I always always give the best advice i can on the spot.. lol One guy was buying 3 bala sharks for a 55gal tank and three goldfish.. he still got the bala sharks but talked him out of the goldfish at least! he claims that he is gonna get a bigger tank.. Who knows..

BifFish01, how long does it usually take to see results? I actually start noticing my water isn't as yellow anymore but its still pretty cloudy

You may have an algae bloom. Is that a newly established tank? What are your parameters?

as stated in my first post, tank was setup in september, all water parameters are in good standing

The brownish color is the tannins from the wood as others here already stated, but the cloudy water is another issue. It's likely a bloom of some kind or maybe substrate that needs a good vacuuming?

I had good results within hours. Was great in a couple days. Glad you are seeing improovement.

I wouldnt call the water cloudy from the pics. Just dark from the tannins from the wiod. Think you will be alright

I will update with a picture tomorrow morning, water does look less yellowish but does not look crystal clear

My guess is if you didn't soak the wood for quite a while before putting it in the tank, there's not much you can do to get "crystal clear" water. I don't have crystal clear water and I use Purigen and have NO wood. It will leach tannins for who knows how long but it will eventually stop. If you want the water to be clear, you will have to do water changes quite often only to have it yellow up again. All you can do is be patient.

I'll mention again that the tannins are actually GOOD for the fish you are keeping. Neons naturally live in areas with a great deal of organic matter like that leaching tannins into the water... And many fishkeepers actually try to get that in their tank and set-up "black water" tanks for these fish.

I'll mention again that the tannins are actually GOOD for the fish you are keeping. Neons naturally live in areas with a great deal of organic matter like that leaching tannins into the water... And many fishkeepers actually try to get that in their tank and set-up "black water" tanks for these fish.

No doubt that it works for the fish. Unfortunately the OP doesn't care for it. I myself, keeping Mbuna, am looking to grow a good amount of algae on purpose but others clean their tanks spotless to get rid of it. If the OP wants the wood bad enough they will have to deal with the off-colored water for a while. I happen to like the look in certain cases.

My point in mentioning it, and emphasizing it was that if his concern for the lack of crystal clear water was unhealthy for his fish, that's not the case. Some believe that the water needs to stay clear in order for it to be good. Tannins aren't clear, but certainly are good. If its a matter of aesthetics, I get it. I like the look, primarily because I know its beneficial and the fish can actually take on their best colors that way. But, I get that some don't like the look of it.

My point in mentioning it, and emphasizing it was that if his concern for the lack of crystal clear water was unhealthy for his fish, that's not the case. Some believe that the water needs to stay clear in order for it to be good. Tannins aren't clear, but certainly are good. If its a matter of aesthetics, I get it. I like the look, primarily because I know its beneficial and the fish can actually take on their best colors that way. But, I get that some don't like the look of it.

+1

Most reactions

Back