Why I Love The Nature Aquarium

George Farmer

ad aqua
Reaction score
I thought I'd share this photo with you all. For me it displays everything the Nature Aquarium stands for. Note the photo itself has been taken by a non-pro, with all the equipment on display so you get a "true" feeling, rather the the perfect Amano images we often see.

I'd like to draw your attention to the whole Nature Aquarium concept, not just the aquascaping but the hardware. The filter inlet, lily pipe and CO2 diffuser are all made of glass and are very discreet. There is no background to distract the viewer either with all the hoses running down the side. The lighting is suspended well above the tank. It is like a floating body of underwater paradise, even the tank itself is made of German high clarity glass thus providing an even less obstructed view of the contents.

Perhaps not to everyone's taste and certainly not everyone's budget but for me at least this gives me something to aim for. Design, technology and nature in perfect harmony.

Attachments

• nature.jpg
    nature.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 41
That is quite amazing and beutiful. Do they fertilize it probably since there are no fish in it. It is nice how they have everything hidden and not very noticable, that way you really only look at the plants and driftwood. Thanks for showing us that, something I can try to do once I get old enough.

Definately my taste, but not in my budget. I envy the owners of those aquariums though.

Looks cool, but a shame to have it in what looks like a shop or display centre, something like that needs to be in a home where someone can really enjoy it :)

Sam

EDIT - Actually I guess thats the point! Make people buy them!

Interesting interpretation of the natural aquarium gf.

I get the all natural materials thing, what with the main equipment being made of glass (how often is glasss found in nature?).

My observation is that this aquarium is too diverse and yet ordered to be truely natural. Looking at a few natural aquarium aquascapes I see that the most effective ones often consist of one, sometimes two, plant species. This aquarium has a number of species carefully laid out into front, midground, and background areas. Although it is undoubtedly a beautiful aquarium and one I can only ever wish to be able to produce, I wouldn't say it's a prefect example of a natural aquarium. Looking in plant margins, and deeper water where possible, it is usual to see one plant species overrunning a particular area to the exclusion of all others. Sometimes there are small pockets of 'resistance' where another species is hanging on.

I'm also guessing that this aquarium has just been set up. What appears to be Java moss is just too flat. It's not bushed out from the initially placed matting. Also, and call me mad here if you please, but I like to see a bit of algae in a tank. A bit of greening of the wood on the upper faces would be nice. Makes it look like it's been there for years.

Yeah, I know, I'm being about as picky as you can get. I'm sure that if I paid close attention to the tanks I see as prefect natural aquascapes I'd find just as many points to pick on. I just like to see aquariums that look like someone has sunk the four sides of an aquarium into a lakebed, slid the bottom into place and walked off with it. This just isn't quite it for me.

After saying all that, if ONLY I could even think about doing anything like that I'd be well happy. :drool:

WK

Interesting point. Guess it comes down to personal taste really. Does it also not depend on what aspect of 'nature' you're trying to recreate?

If you want an aquarium to mimic a lake or river, then yes I guess these tanks are not truely 'life-like,' as you say these areas tend to be single species. However, does the natural aquarium not also try to mimic landscapes, or natural feautres (like a lichen covered tree)? In which case there is a need for a greater diversity of species to represence the different landscape features, the different habitats and the sence of scale?

Just my thoughts? But yes I WANT ONE TOO!

Sam

PS glass is just silica dont forget, and silica is everywhere in nature ;)

Yes, it is absolutely down to individual taste and interpretation. It is after all just another artform.
I suppose that, if you were to try to recreate a submerged forest type environment then there could be more variety of plants.
Whenever anyone mentions trying to create a landscape in an aquarium I have visions of plastic castles and little brick arch bridges. I like waterscapes. Why does nobody ever use that term?

One suggestion. Go to the Pilkington glass factory and tell them glass is just silica. That's like telling a fishkeeper that your water quality is good coz the water is clear!

WK

I suppose that, if you were to try to recreate a submerged forest type environment then there could be more variety of plants.

Is this not principle behind a nature aquarium? To create underwater something that you see outside the aquarium in the natural world?

Whenever anyone mentions trying to create a landscape in an aquarium I have visions of plastic castles and little brick arch bridges.

But then this would not be a nature aquarium.

One suggestion. Go to the Pilkington glass factory and tell them glass is just silica. That's like telling a fishkeeper that your water quality is good coz the water is clear!

I shall do, Ill let you know what they say.

Sam

It sure does! Just the cost of a CO2 diffuser is around 100quid! Guess like any hobby, some poeple want to get the best, ADA stuff is 'the best'

My car has normal wheels, some people want alloys, but they both do the same thing.

I think you need to look about it from a different perspective, the japanese coined the phrase 'nature aquarium' but they dont IMO mean a biotope based on the amazon, that tank would just consist of brown water, leaves, mud and altums. That would be a true representation of an amazonian backwater. By nature they mean an interpretation of nature, Amano uses this term "imitating nature in order to surpass it" which I think pretty much sums up what he means by Nature Aquarium.

I think of the term "Nature Aquarium" in a light tone. Mother Nature isn't perfect, while these show aquariums are perfect. Yes, they are beautiful and I wold LOVE to have one, but I wouldn't call it a "Nature Aquarium". The best Nature Aquarium I know of is that of a Lake, River, or Sea. That, is a "Nature Aquarium" in its truest form.

Natural bodies of water rely on the elements and the inhabitants for sustenance and nourishment, while the "Nature Aquarium" relies on the keeper and supplements.....seldom relying on the inhabitants, if any.

I could go on for days. I'm not bagging on Amano, as I think he is talented and does wonderful work. As a matter of fact, I'm jealous. I would love to do what he does. I just hate how they describe it as a slice of Nature.

Most reactions

Back