Why Does My Filter Take So Long To Come Back On After Being Off

marieukxx

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a small pump in my 20 litre tank. It's one of the ones that is built in and it has a power head pump with a clear plastic tube on it. The tube sits in the water. Whenever I switch it off or say the electric goes it takes ages to come back on.

I was just fiddling about adding something to my tank and switched it off and I'm still waiting for the darn thing to start working again.

Is it like a hang-on one, marie?

Have you made sure you're filling it up with water before you switch it back on?

Yeah well it slots through a hole in the lid and the tube goes in the water. A power head I think. Yeah I noticed when the water gets low it stops. But even with it full it takes ages to come back on if it's been of like when the electric goes off.

I am still waiting for it to come on now. I've had this before and thought it was broken and it came back on. But each time I freak out that it's broken. Now I'm worrying it's not gonna kick in.

It's like this but that's not it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWER-HEAD-WATER-PUMP-600L-H-FISH-TANK-NEW-JP-022-/370481674968?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item56426dbad8

Yeah, my son'e Edge is the same; I keep pouring water into it until it starts properly.

I have a Juwel interal filter and that does the same. sometimes takes about 20" or so to kick in.

Same here - my Juwel Rekord internal filter system used to do the same thing. It's to do with the impeller - sometimes they just get a little bit stuck. I found that if I gave it a little shake or a few taps it would get the impeller spinning again. Give that a try and see if it helps.

Regards, Athena

My internals all do this and yes it to do with the impeller. I take the impeller out very gently rub with a toothbrush to clean the it and its starts every time after

It's not that as it's a buit in job with the light using the same plu and that works but that's anyway

Have you got it working yet?

If not, are you able to physically give the impeller a gentle spin with your finger to see if that gets it going? Or try cleaning the impeller and housing in case there is a bit of gunk in there clogging it up.

You don't want to leave your aquarium too long without a working filter...

Athena

Aww, shame - yeah I read the other post about the tweezers stuck in it...lol was it getting a bit hairy then? :hyper:

What a pain eh? As they say, nothing lasts forever...just a nuisance that things always break when we're skint. :angry:

Athena

Most reactions

Back