Why do you name your fishes?

i have a cory named Fred
and an angel named ace :)

oh and this is the bast name! My glass cat is named Invisa Line!

my 2 neons are just "You Guys"

I named a couple of my fish, still thinking of names for the rest. My favorite name is Hoover for my pleco. ;) (Or as my younger sister refers to him Hoovy)

It personalizes them. I try not to name them for a week in case they died I already had 2 twilights die and a white cloud which I postpiscinly named freedom (he jumped)

My platies I can easily tell apart.

I can tell most of my white cloud minnows apart too except for 2 of the gold females, one of which has become the alpha female so If I wacth for a couple seconds I can tell which is which. although I didn't know which of the golds she was so I just assumed she was twister.

Shoals of fish I tend not to name individually - I mean its hard to tell one neon tetra from another! I do refer to them as my Bibbly-Bobs! :hyper:

HOWEVER...
My red betta is named Pol Pot (of the Khmer Rouge)... and boy, he is one moody fish and such a dictator.
My two albino corys who are in the same tank as the betta are called Mike & Marina the cleaner.

In another tank I have:
The "leader" of my 8 red eye tetra named Popeye.
My two red comet platys are called Elle & Lucas - they seem to be forever in and out of love!

People name their cats/dogs/birds etc so why not name your pet fish.

I name them all but the schooling fish I just name the whole school unless one of the fish is really cool.

i name all of mine too!!! just posted a picture of them up in one of my other posts about algae!!!

you can tell the difference in all of the fish even the shoals!!! well in mine you can some are bigger etc and some of the colours are different!!!

I dont name any of mine, and dont understand why you'd want to, unless you had kids and it was for their sake.

I dont name any of mine, and dont understand why you'd want to, unless you had kids and it was for their sake.

u dont need to understand each to their own!!! our fish are our children hahahahahah they tak up just as much time money and effort!!!

I've named most of my fish because they are my pets :)

I did not name the babies because there is like 80 of them lol.. but my large tank and one smaller one have 7 BP... moon beam, sunshine, bella, lunar, shadow, marley, and louie. I also have 3 Pleco,s keeper steve, daisy and gilbert.

quick reply to the original post. I myself dont name my fish, but I can see why people do, because they are pets. I can easily pick out and identify every fish I own, which is about 40 fish. Of course I dont have any "community" tanks where I try to max out any of my tanks.

But yeah, I can see why people name there and fish, because they come very attached to them as they grow. Oh, I did name my turtle though :)

I dont think any fish should be named theyre wild animals!
umm, if they are in a fish tank they are not wild animals. lol

quick reply to the original post. I myself dont name my fish, but I can see why people do, because they are pets. I can easily pick out and identify every fish I own, which is about 40 fish. Of course I dont have any "community" tanks where I try to max out any of my tanks.

But yeah, I can see why people name there and fish, because they come very attached to them as they grow. Oh, I did name my turtle though :)

what if they're wild caught? Still wild animals though right?

what if they're wild caught? Still wild animals though right?
well, they were wild, but now they are captive. I have a few wild caught fish that are not wild anymore. My crappie and White Bass come to the top of the tank and beg me for food when i walk in the room. Hardly wild anymore. lol

Once they are in the house, they are part of our family, so they all get named, all apart from the shrimp cause that would be a little nutty ^_^

Most reactions

Back