Why Do Some People Have Fish Houses?

I'd love to have a fish shed :wub:

I'm a female too! So it's not all just males who want sheds!

-edit-
I'd love have one for a retreat....running away from my kids :lol: I love them, but they are 9 months, 3.5 and 5.5. I'm sure you can imagine how crazy that gets :crazy: I'd also like one to plain old just sit and watch the fish!!

My shed is 20'x10' but im only using just over half of it for my fish :) i guess that makes it a large garden shed :)

a shed sounds like a really good idea - i'm already planning tank number 2, and if I want many more than that (or decide to try a marine aquarium) i think my parents would go nuts (they said no to the first tank ;)), but I think a shed in the garden might be a bit more acceptable!!

I think they are a excellant idea, an escape where someone can have lots of tanks to thier own tastes. I am contemplating one in my garage, as it's a double and we only have one car in it. (but it's getting a new roof in the summer, so I'll have to wait)

Does anyone have pictures of thier fish house? if so, could someone be kind enough to post some them up, so mortals like me can admire them!

Great topic Shelagh,

Jonathan

I had a fishroom for several reasons.
1) mum wouldn't let me keep all my tanks in my room.
2) it was a pain walking from room to room feeding and water changing fish tanks.
3) the fishroom reduced the cost of my powerbill.

Instead of having one filter per tank and each tank had it's own power point and was on its own stand, I built multi tiered stands and used undergravel or sponge filters in each tank. Then I had one big airpump running the whole lot. I heated the bottom tanks and the heat from this and the lights was enough to keep the rest of the tanks warm during winter. The room was insulted to minimise heat loss.
The multi tiered stands allowed for better use of space and I managed to get 40+ tanks into a room about 20x8x8ft.
I saved time with water changes because I could use a big syphon hose to do all the tanks and I had water holding tanks for the new water. I could water change and gravel clean every tank in half a day. And that included wiping down the glass and cleaning filters. The water was all free of chlorine and had a similar temp to the tanks so I minimised stress on the fish. And I could do water changes whenever I want, day or night. I would simply run the hose out the door and start draining tanks. Then refill them with the aged water and refill the water containers afterwards.
Unfortunately even tho I had a bunch of tanks I was always running out of room and quite often had eggs and fry in buckets sitting on top of the tanks. I even took over the duck pond for daphnia cultures.

A properly set up fishroom does make life easier and gives you a whole lot more room to play with. You can have taps and sinks in them for draining and filling tanks. If you have a water storage tank then you don't have to worry about chlorinating your fish and you can adjust or modify the water chemistry to suit your needs. And it keeps everything together so you don't have people complaining about pumps running or noisy bubbles and dirty tanks with algae all over them. It also gives you a quiet secluded place to hide when the rellies turn up with their kids. And you can buy fish and put them in a tank and no one asks how much money you wasted on new fish, because they never know :)
A fishroom should also have locks on it to prevent people from breaking in and stealing everything. It happens from time to time. People join fish clubs and seem to be honest and friendly. After a while you trust them enough to show them your collection of fishes and then a few days later someone has gone through your fishroom and cleared out all the exotic species. It's incredible how big the black market is for unusual fish and aquarium equipment.

I don't have a fish house or room or anything but from people that do I know that a fish house means that you can actually get away from fish tanks when you want to. With so many tanks, fishkeeping can easily lose its calming appeal when you are surrounded by them 24/7. Particularly if the fish aren't doing too well it can become quite stressful.

I don't have a fish house or room or anything but from people that do I know that a fish house means that you can actually get away from fish tanks when you want to. With so many tanks, fishkeeping can easily lose its calming appeal when you are surrounded by them 24/7. Particularly if the fish aren't doing too well it can become quite stressful.

yes i agree 100% with you there :good:,probably does the fishes head in too, being constantly gorped at

LOL
you're obviously not obsessed enough. I used to work 6 days a week in the petshop and have a fishroom at home. I couldn't get enough. More fishies, more fishies. Mind you I didn't have a holiday for 20years.
Now I spend all day sitting in a padded pink cell rocking back and forwards. no more fish, no more fish :)

LOL
you're obviously not obsessed enough. I used to work 6 days a week in the petshop and have a fishroom at home. I couldn't get enough. More fishies, more fishies. Mind you I didn't have a holiday for 20years.
Now I spend all day sitting in a padded pink cell rocking back and forwards. no more fish, no more fish :)

No I am not obsessed enough you are right, but obsession doesn't (usually) last forever, and when you stop being obsessed and try to actually enjoy the fish more you realise that being surrounded by tanks all the time isn't quite what it used to be.

No I am not obsessed enough you are right, but obsession doesn't (usually) last forever, and when you stop being obsessed and try to actually enjoy the fish more you realise that being surrounded by tanks all the time isn't quite what it used to be.

lol, Colin_T has Posts: 3416, Joined: 26-January 08! I wish I even had enough free time to make that many posts - I'd say he's pretty damn obsessed!!

Most reactions

Back