Why are people terrified of sharks and piranhas?

Mosquitoes are even more dangerous.
In terms of total people killed, yes. In terms of individual encounters, no. An individual mosquito bite is much less likely to do serious damage than an individual shark bite. But most people get bitten by thousands, perhaps millions, of mosquitoes over a lifetime, and in malarial areas, that danger adds up. But I think that's why sharks are scarier on an instinctive level.

These are some really cool fish. I don't understand why people hate them so much, like sure their teeth are quite scary, but in reality they are pretty tame.
Shark attacks only really happen because the shark is wondering what on earth even are you, follow up bites are non-existent.
Piranhas mostly eat corpses, they aren't even pack hunters, they are literal scavengers.

View attachment 155046
That is a picture of a pangasius shark, I mean certainly not as scary as a great white shark, but these sharks look very cute, not scary.

View attachment 155047
Here is a fresh water piranha.

I don't know why people are so terrified of these fish, they actually look quite cool.
So I messed up and apparently the pangasius shark is a species of catfish... Yeah.

In terms of total people killed, yes. In terms of individual encounters, no. An individual mosquito bite is much less likely to do serious damage than an individual shark bite. But most people get bitten by thousands, perhaps millions, of mosquitoes over a lifetime, and in malarial areas, that danger adds up. But I think that's why sharks are scarier on an instinctive level.
And only a small amount of sharkspecies are dangerous. Saw this vid of a Great white ?

Most reactions

Back