White Spot - Help Plz..

andrewcoxon

Reaction score
hi,

some of my african malawi's have what looks like white spot. should i just treat it with normal white spot medicine? iv been reading that if i increase the temp of the water & add aquarium salt this will work & avoid putting chemicals into the water...

cheers,

clint

Yes i think so and you can also turn the heat up on the heater to run the course of the parasite quicker. Also post this in the tropical fish emergencies for a better response and advice.

are there any pictures available showing white spot?

i dont have a digital camera but im 99% sure that it is whitespot... it looks just like the whitespot i got in my community tank before i decided to move into cichlids.

Teh reason i'm asking is because i think a couple of mine are developing it and i wanted to make sure that's what it is.

Raising the temp and treating with the correct meds is all you need to do. Whitespot treatment is normally successful provided it is caught early.

You may want to check your water parameters to try and establish the cause of the WS, poor water quality is one of the main causes. Of course you could have just been unlucky by adding a new fish that already had WS in its early stages.

white spot??? wtf is that?? some UK terminology??:fun:
:fish:

mercy mercy:hyper: :*

Ich (Ichthyophthiriasis)

Symptoms: Small white pimples concentrated mainly on the fins. Pimples look like granules of salt.
Treatment: Treatment of Ich can be difficult. There are several medications and preventatives available including Super Ich by Aquatronics and Maracyn and Maracyn-Two by Mardel Laboratories. AS FOR ME I DONT USE MEDICATIONS UNLESS ITS "AQUARI-SOL" AND THATS NOT OFTEN, CORRECT WATER CHANGES AND ATTENTION WILL KEEP THIS NASTY BUGGER AT BAY

Information: This is the most widespread and common freshwater fish disease. The small pustules are actually sacks of tiny protazoans. In a few days, the sacks break open and the parasites fall into the aquarium gravel where they multiply in great numbers.HEAT HELPS SPEED UP THIS PROCESS When mature, the new protazoans attack the rest of the fish. It is this lifecycle that makes Ich so contagious. The protazoans will weaken the fish progressively by destroying the protective coating.

The protazoans may only be destroyed after they have left the sacks. When embedded in the aquarium gravel, they are susceptible to medication. Therefore, increasing the temperature of the water during treatment can speed up the life cycle, causing the pustules to break open quicker. After exposed, the protazoans are killed before they can multiply.
NOT TO MENTION USING S A L T !!!!! AND NOOO YOU DONT HAVE TO USE "AQUARIUM ONLY" SALT, REGULAR STORE BRAND UN IODIZED TABLE SALT IS FINE
SOOOOO KIDS, TO REPEAT IN SHORT FORM
HEAT UP TO 85 (if fish in tank are used to higher temps,some more delicates arent)
AND A GOOD DOSE OF TABLE SALT!!!! :thumbs: adding 2-3 tablespoons salt per 5 gallons if I were also using the high temperature treatment

Iv'e recently addd new fish, this may have been the problem. since then i've been ahving trouble with my stats also

Most reactions

Back