Which Testing Kit?

neonnewbie

Reaction score
Hi all

Could you point me in the right direction of which testing kits I should use and how much they generally cost please.

Cheers

Neonnewbie

Where are you located? If you're in the UK, go for the Salifert range, they're about £6-7 each, are vastly more accurate than the API kit which are £1-2 cheaper as a whole, worth paying £1-2 extra, if you're in the US go for the API kit, as the Saliferts are incredibly expensive over there.

Salifert sell their kit separately, You'll need Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate test kits, you'll also need a PH kit but this can come from any manufacturer.

What size tank is this?
Are you going to fishless cycle?
What kind of fish are you going to do?

The only thing you usually need long term is nitrate to make sure you are keeping the water quality up.

While I agree that the Saliferts is the best set of hobbyist kits out there and I'd like to see them be successful and stay on the market, helping us all to have a good thing to turn to, I feel it might be a bit much to say Saliferts is vastly better.

The only thing I've observed are a handful of reports from members here in our beginners section in the past year that raised concern that the API ammonia test was reporting 0.25ppm when the Saliferts was reporting zero ppm. This follows on years of fishless cyclers logging successful cycles with the API or Nutrafin tests in hundreds of cases.

I think one of the things that's a bit difficult to communicate to newcomers who've never seen the process through for a first time yet is that in the end it's more about "process" rather than individual readings. It's one of those weird things where the more of them you do, the more the little hints from the kits become just a confirmation of your feel for the overall progression.

WD

aquarium pharmaceuticals (API) i think is the best, at least for the money. its more cost-efficient to buy everything in a single box, and its cheaper than buying individual tests.

In the UK, the Salifert brands equate to the same price as the API all in one, I've got the figures I can post when I go back to college after the holidays, it's all on a spread sheet, if they're the same price you may as well go for the more accurate and consistent test kit, once you've tried them you'll never go back, trust me.

Im happy paying £18.50 including delivery for a full API test kit. I've never had a single problem with them although the ammonia test under home lighting can be a little misleading. But quite honestly, if i cant tell the difference between 0 and 0.25ppm then i just treat it as 0. I'll test 12 hours later and if it was 0.25, then it should now be at least 0.5 and green so i know where i stand. Plus the API Kit is all nicely packet together :> That said, as long as you have a liquid test kit, you're steps ahead of many others in the hobby. I hate to think how many people dont bother, or even take water to their local shop for testing.

This is what you get from Nutrafin £18.50 off ebay.

It's been ok but I bought the API Ammonia test kit too after a few days as I wanted to measure the smaller changes that were difficult to read on the Nutrafin card. I like the way the API test tube is flat bottomed and stands on it's own.

Nutrafin measures 0, 0.6, 1.2, 2.4, 4.9, 7.3
API measures 0, 0.25, 0.5, 1.0, 2.0, 4.0, 8.0

HTH someone

Attachments

• testkit.jpg
    testkit.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 45
Personally I like the Red Sea brand. They are more expensive but the colour results differentiation is better in my view.

Most reactions

Back