Which plant?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ancient11

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
If you had a brand new 75 gallon tank, what would be the first four plants that you would put in your new tank? This is the main question.
Another question that I have is about crypts, I have been watching video's on you tube and I can not get the information on how large these plants get when they are full grown. That information is critical and yet often overlooked by the reviewer. I would really like to get some large crypts.

I'd get big low light plants. I'm pretty inexperienced with plants but low light would be good. I don't know about crypt's tho :(

To answer your first (main) question...it might depend upon the lighting, and it would depend upon what you intend for the aquascape.

On the crypts, there are dozens of species in the genus Cryptocoryne and some remain very small while others are larger. I would use Kasselmann's book Aquarium Plants for data on species, but you can look this up online.

Sometimes the growing conditions will affect the size a plant attains; I have had the same sword plants (I know they are the same species as they were adventitious plants from an inflorescence on the same parent plant) grow to quite different heights in different aquaria.

I did a silent cycle on my 55 gallon tank and had hornwort, java fern, water sprite and moneywort to start off with.

To answer your first (main) question...it might depend upon the lighting, and it would depend upon what you intend for the aquascape.

On the crypts, there are dozens of species in the genus Cryptocoryne and some remain very small while others are larger. I would use Kasselmann's book Aquarium Plants for data on species, but you can look this up online.

Sometimes the growing conditions will affect the size a plant attains; I have had the same sword plants (I know they are the same species as they were adventitious plants from an inflorescence on the same parent plant) grow to quite different heights in different aquaria.
On one end I have a fluval 3.0 and on the other end i have a finex planted plus. I do not have c02. Well not yet anyway.
I like the natural look as it is in the wild.

I did a silent cycle on my 55 gallon tank and had hornwort, java fern, water sprite and moneywort to start off with.
All i have is guppy grass plus water wisteria (very small portion) and three weeks ago I did an instant cycle. I have a canister filter that pushes 580 gallons an hour plus a large sponge filter.

If you had a brand new 75 gallon tank, what would be the first four plants that you would put in your new tank? This is the main question.
Another question that I have is about crypts, I have been watching video's on you tube and I can not get the information on how large these plants get when they are full grown. That information is critical and yet often overlooked by the reviewer. I would really like to get some large crypts.
I recently started a new tank, and i acquired some plants from my local fish store. These include: Echinodorus ozelot red, Hygrophila pinnatifida, Microsorum pteropus, Cyperus helferii and Anubias hastifolia. These are all great plants and will spread out, covering lots of your tank. I would also suggest some carpet plants such as java moss.

I like easy plants. Amazon sword, java fern, java moss, giant frogbit.
If you'd let me have more than 4 I'd add pygmy chain sword and crypts (mine are small but the tiger barbs tear the leaves off). :)

Swords are certainly some of the easiest plants to care for.

You may want to try some plants that pull nutrients from the water like java fern. You can glue them to any surface and let them grab hold.

I wish to thank everyone that took the time and trouble to answer my post. I now have a little more information to work with. Like most senior citizen's I get my pay on the third and I will be ordering plants from Jacobs aquarium.

Most reactions

Back