Which Meds

blazinloud

Reaction score
HI, I just noticed today my male betta has about 20 or so salt like dots on him.

Im assuming its ich. But my ADF and gourami dont seem to have any. I also read the

article and looked at the pics, and it seems to match.

I have some melafix antibacterial, which supposedly reapirs damaged fins, ulcers, and

open wounds, fungus.

Do I need to purchase another med? if so can someone recommend one, im in canada.

should i start treating it asap, or hold off and see what happens?

had the water checked yesterday and was told it was ok (by petland)

Do I need a heater to totally get rid of the parasite? I was planning on adding more fish in

2-4 weeks.

Thanks for the help

You will need a parasite med something like anti whitespot by interpet.

Thanks for the reply, guys said to try salt 1st because its 'less' stressful/harmful.

So anyway he takes me to the aisle which is supposed to have the salt, but they were out.

So he tells me to go to the grocery store and find pickling salt, which is the same thing.

I did, I also bought a small 50 watt heater, and a thermometer.

I took out my ADF, and put in a seperate tank with no filter, had water sitting for 2 days.

I took some of the tank water in a container and added about 3-5 tablespoons of the

course pickling salt, which is "all natural, no additives" says per 1/4 teaspoon is 590mg.

Tank was sitting at 26-29*C for about 15 hours, and i slowly added dilluted salt water in

the tank over the course of an hour. Came home from work today and now he only has

a few white spots on him, and seems a little more lively.

Questions are, can this salt eliminate the parasite once its free floating?

How much salt to add, and how often, and the proper way?

when to do a water change and how much, add more salt after the change?

when to add the ADF back to the community?

I'm sure i have more questions but i cant think right now :blink:

Thanks for any help ;)

Only had whitespot once in my tank and I used a med.
Some say salt works with a high temp, some say it dosn't.
Just carry on for a few more days with the salt, don't add anymore though.
Can't add the frog back till the salt has been removed and temp reduced, once whitespot has gone.

Does salt kill the parasite? and how much of a water change should i do when i add the frog back?

Most reactions

Back