Which Medication Is Best?

Shimmer99

Reaction score
HI, I have a male betta that I just got and I think he has" tail rot", I don`t know which med. is best for him. Please can someone explain the difference between; Maracyn, Maracyn-Two, Maracyn-Plus??...I don`t know what "gram negative and gram-positive means. I read the info. that came with the med,(I did get the Maracyn-Two). I think mabey the Maracyn Plus might be better. Also what about Betta-fix? Hope someone can help me understand the difference, and which is best for different problems. Thanks , Shimmer99

first we must see that it is finrot, what do the edges of the fins look like, are they blackish in colour?

first we must see that it is finrot, what do the edges of the fins look like, are they blackish in colour?
No they are ragged and "white" on the ends , also has some blood spots under the surface of the skin showing through.He is yellow in color.

I guess no one here knows very much about this subject. Thanks for the few replys.

which is why they said to post in the emergency section...

which is why they said to post in the emergency section...
I`m talking about the difference in medications. I thought some people here could tell me the difference in the feww that I named.

Combine myxazin with melafix and it will heal rapidly.

if you caqn get these

I guess no one here knows very much about this subject. Thanks for the few replys.

i said pm wilder cause the type of medicne you use on a fish can vary greatly depending on what the fish actually has, sooooo, sience wilder is queen of all knowleeage when it comes to diease i say to talk to her, or post in the emergency section, she is in there somtetimes.

also note: kinda hard to dignose a fish when you can see a pic ,, so asking somebody who will get what you mean in words will give you the best responce and the correct advice.

:rolleyes:

Hi Shimmer

Its not that people dont know, its that certain meds are better for certain things. The root problem needs to be identified to be able to treat correctly. If not, you could treat with a particular meds only to find that it doesn't work and you've wasted a week.

I know you were asking what the difference between the maracyns was, but by virtue that it was in the same post as detailing the problems with your betta indicates that you were looking for a treatment for him, and people didn't want to advise until the problem was identified.

There's a pinned section on the main forum page concerning meds and there uses :good:

p.s. you wont get many replies if you make sarcy comments either :no:

Hi Shimmer

Its not that people dont know, its that certain meds are better for certain things. The root problem needs to be identified to be able to treat correctly. If not, you could treat with a particular meds only to find that it doesn't work and you've wasted a week.

I know you were asking what the difference between the maracyns was, but by virtue that it was in the same post as detailing the problems with your betta indicates that you were looking for a treatment for him, and people didn't want to advise until the problem was identified.

There's a pinned section on the main forum page concerning meds and there uses :good:

p.s. you wont get many replies if you make sarcy comments either :no:
Thanks everyone for this advice. I just want the best for my fish. I asked in the pet store and they are not much help at all. My vet is no help when it comes to my fish.So I had hope that someone here would know what med. was right. ...I did use the Maracyn-two for 5 days as stated on the directions. He is doing much better... The two that I could not understand the difference between is the Maracyn-two and the Maracyn-plus.Also, if anybody knows what gram negative is I would just l like to know these things for the future. I think this a great place to share tips and advice, and of course our passion for fish. Thanks again.

Most reactions

Back