Which Make Of Tank?

homer

Reaction score
hi all,i am now looking for a new tank,which are the better makes.where i live they only seem to sell rena or jewul but online i have seen an Evasion 120 Aquarium which i like the look of.which are the better made tanks and where is the best/cheapest place to get them from thanks

Where abouts do you live in the world? Personally, i've mostly had experience with juwel tanks, but i've owned a lot of them over the years and have no problems with them at all :) . In general, i always add extra filtration as the filtration the complete setups come with often does not cope with the bioload the tanks gallons can hold (juwel tanks often have heavy planting and low to medium fish stocking in mind).

hi mate iam from the uk in the south east (norfolk)

I agree with Tokis-Phoenix.

I've had experience of a number of tropical fresh-water tanks and would recommend Juwel.

Advantages;
1. Filters work well and it's easy to get parts/filter replacements. (IMHO The bio-filters [blue sponges] only need to be cleaned and NOT replaced every 4-6 months. Carbon filter [black sponge] can be used when required, otherwise replace it with a course blue filter and leave it. The nitrate filter [green sponge, and yes this does work] should be replaced every 6-8 weeks and the floss [white] filter once every 7-10 days.)
2. Water quality stays rock-solid.
3. Easy on the eye; They look good and have 'traditional' styling.
4. (And this is only my personal experience) I've NEVER had a problem with them.

Disadvantages;
1. Fully submerged filter/heater. The only way to maintain it is to get your hands wet!
2. Initially expensive. Depends on where you get it from, but Jewel's can be pricey. My advice is to build your own stand and not buy the over-priced 'official' ones.
3. Difficult to over-filter. You're gonna have to stick to the 1" rule. The internal filter DOES take up a chunk of the tank so another internal filter is a no-no. However, the bigger the tank the less of a problem this will be.

Provided that you look after your tank it will serve you well (or at least better than some!)

DB

Yes Juwel are the best. German reliability and effeciency. Comes as a complete kit and you cant go wrong with the equipment for the price. I made my own stand, the internal isn't that difficult to maintain. :good:

Yes Juwel are the best. German reliability and effeciency. Comes as a complete kit and you cant go wrong with the equipment for the price. I made my own stand, the internal isn't that difficult to maintain. :good:

I am going to bang the drum for my AQUAONE 620. This tank has a large area for filtration under the lid which I think should compare well with the volume of many internal filters. Also as the water is filtered it is aerated as the filter medium is above the water; I have put in quite a lot of extra medium. The pump is very quiet, the tank looks attractive with its rounded corners and its not expensive.

Most reactions

Back