Which Fish For My Tank?

tropical fishies

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,
i was recently advised by a friend that i should make a thread, saying the fish i like, and my tank deatials, as i dont know what fish will be suitable to my tank, or as a community

so here goes!:

Fish i like
All types of betta
All Angelfish
Clown loach
Plecs
Bristlenoses
Guppies
Tiger barbs
Most other catfish that suck glass ^^
Lionfish
Kissing gourami
Platies
mollys

my tank is 6cm X 30cm, and is a 60 Liter temprate at the moment is 26-27 but i will alter if necessary
i have an elite stingray filter, my tank has a chunk of bogwood and 2 plants further back...

What would go well as a community or a good tank, thanks! :good: :good: :good:

Hey, from your list, I would say, betta's (male) need to be kept alone or with a small selection of certain fish, ie: rasboras, corydoras and not much else, maybe a bristlenose would be ok. So unless you only want those fish, I would rule out a betta.

Female bettas can be kept in groups of 6+ and that would along with a bristlenose bring you up to almost fully stocked (roughly).

Clown Loach grow very big, need to be kept in groups and a 6ft tank is recommended for fully grown clowns.

Angelfish either need to be on their own or groups of 5+ and need at least a 18" tall tank, so I would rule them out for a 60L.

Plecs - assuming you mean bristlenose or similar sized plecs would be ok, but I would say one only in a 60L. Other plecs that grow past 6" would not be a good idea as they need much larger tanks.

Guppies would be good, keep 1m - 2f ratio, be aware they breed ALOT.

Tiger barbs, should be kept in shoals of at least 6+ - more if you want to stop them nipping other fish and they need quite large swimming areas, so I would rule them out for a 60L, although Im sure people do keep them in that size tank.

Lionfish - Marine fish, not to kept in tropical tank.

Platies would be good - again 1M - 2F ratio, again breed ALOT.

Mollies would also be ok (although I know nothing about them) but 1m - 2f ratio again.

Your looking to stock roughly 15" of fish (full adult size) in a 60L (15G) tank.

Hope that helps a little :)

how many guppys should i put into a 60L 60cm x 30cm tank? along with a decent catfish like a bristlenose?

anyone know? and whats the formula for working it out so i can do myself too!

The recommended stocking level is 1" of fish per gallon of water. So approx 15" of adult size fish (I know they wont be adult when you get them, but you have to allow for their full size).

Males can grow up to 2" (including their tails), Females up to 2.5". Bristlenose reach roughly 6 - 7".

The bristles will be fine with some guppies. We are probably looking at one BNP with a very small guppy stocking of 3 or 4 fish and only one of them male. Another option that is smaller than guppies but is related is endlers live bearers. My avatar is a young male. One of the main advantages is that they are a little smaller than guppies so they won't fill up a tank with the same number. You could probably keep 5 or 6 of them in that tank. Beware of most livebearers, they will add to the population quickly if you allow it. People give rabbits too much credit for breeding well. I've never heard of one that could breed like a guppy or endler.

just to say i agree with all the advice given above, if you want some more details on how to work out which fish are compatible have a look at the link in my sig 'guide to sticking lists' :good:

Just be aware that Guppies aren't as robust as they once were, due to massive over/inbreeding. I'd keep 1 male to 3 females, otherwise the males will pester the females to exhaustion. Make sure, too, that there is a shop that will take surviving fry once they're a sellable size; a tank can get very full very quickly with new fry every month.

Vinylman, that sounds like another good reason to favor endlers. They are tough little guys if you get the wild type.

Vinylman, that sounds like another good reason to favor endlers. They are tough little guys if you get the wild type.

Agreed; a lot of people that come back to the hobby after several years away are often surprised that fish they kept years ago don't seem too good now. I'd always try to find breeders of fish like Guppies, Neon Tetras, etc.

a question about guppy's - if you leave the young in the tank and not separate them.... will they alll bea eaten?

yeah it gets a bit survival of the fittest, some will be eaten but some will survive. depends a lot of what fish you have in and how many hiding spaces there are.

Most reactions

Back