Which Filter For A 75 Gallon Tank?

Ladic

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
from some research I've done, I think I've norrowed it to these 2 tanks, but there is a quite considerable price difference between the 2.

AquaClear 110 Aquarium Power Filter
http://www.amazon.com/AquaClear-110-Aquarium-Power-Filter/dp/B000260FV6/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1JT7EE10ZDXZB&colid=2U47SFKOHV2PQ

Emperor 400 Power Filter
http://www.amazon.com/Emperor-400-Power-Filter-EMPEROR/dp/B00025YURC/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I9UZ4YM8R1OLG&colid=2U47SFKOHV2PQ

It is a $30 difference

Go with the aquaclear. Just take it apart and clean it every 2-3 months. The emperor is loud and I find myself replacing the filters more often than the aqaclears that I use. Even better than both of these is a canister filter. That is a whole different story. Regardless I would use more than 1 filter on a 75 gallon tank. Matter of fact I have 3! Rena XP3, Pengiun, and an aqueon 50 (Got it free from my LFS)

Just my opinion can't go wrong either way!

I have an old penguin, which are similar to the emperor, and like it, it only uses this replaceable filter media.

On the aquaclear, I am still not sure I understand how it works, there seems to be more pieces, but what are all the pieces/media that it uses?

An aquaclear has a large rectangular filter sponge, a bag of bio media, and a bag of carbon. I only recently replaced a sponge in my aquaclear. It lasted over 2 years, probably could have gone longer but I replaced it anyway. My bio media bag has been in use for almost 2 1/2 years. Both just need a rinse in aquarium water every month or so.

The cool thing about the aquaclear is that you can vary the media. I have the sponge that came with the filter, a mess bag of ceramic rings and a fine filter floss. Most people ditch the carbon unless they are removing medicines from the tank. Carbon is only "good" for 3 days (according to folks on this forum) and is not the ideal media for your biofilter. I like my my aquaclear on my 29 gallon but love my Eheim 2215 on my 60 gallon. This is a canister filter though.

ok, so once I get the acquaclear, how do I set it up? should I periodically remove the sponge and the ceramic and wash them? and if I ditch the carbon, what should do in its place?

Most reactions

Back