Which External Filter System Should I Go For?

rusty2009

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking at buying two new external filter systems.

1 for my turtle tank
1 for my fish tank.

I have two internal filters in the large turtle tank and 1 in my small fish tank.

I'm upgrading the turtle tank to a bigger one and buying a bigger fish tank so am going for a big external filter.

My choices are
FLUVAL 405 AQUARIUM FISH TANK EXT POWER FILTER 1300L/H

or
Aquarium Fish Tank External Filter 1400L/H +9W UV+Media

info
An exceptional value and perfect ecological external canister filter. The  HW-303B Canister filter comes with a Built in 9 Watt UV Sterilizer good for up to 100 gal. (600 ltr) tanks. Suitable for both Marine (Salt) and Fresh water with excellent filtration and purification capacity.

The canister filter system uses a multi-stage approach to filtration, separating a number of distinct filter materials into easy access baskets. The wide variety of filter materials provide waste-free water, strong biological purification and active control of water characteristics. By combining wide media choice with ease of access, the aquarist can customize filtration style to the aquarium's actual need.

With the turnaround valves of safety design, water flow can be controlled delicately as desired. Self-Priming - Press the round circular button, water from the tank will flow into the filter, the air will then be squeezed out and go to the other end of the outlet tube. The filter media is designed in simple modules for easy replacement and cleaning

Specifications:

3 Stage Multi Layer Filtration
Built in 9 Watt UV Sterilizer to kill viruses and harmful parasites
UV light will also purify your tank of green water and make it crystal clear.
Integrated Push Button Primer eliminates need for manual siphoning - SIMPLE SETUP
Quiet and Reliable

3 Filter Media Basket Compartments for layered Filtering
includes Bio Balls, Ceramic Rings, Activated Carbon & 3 x Fine Floss Filters
Quality Fittings (Drip-Free Taps, hoses & spray bar inc ) 20mm o.d Hose, 15mm i.d
dimensions 17in(H) x 10in(D) x 10in(W)

Water Volume: approx 12 ltr
Height Max: 2 metres
Voltage: 220-240V
Pump Power: 35w
UV Power: 9w
Output: 1400 litres per hour
Suitable for up to 130 gallons tank / 600 LITRES
17in(H) x 10in(D) x 10in(W)
Weight: 5 kg

I like the sound of the 2nd one but I can't find out if the 1st one has the uv light to purify the water.

Cheers Rusty.

tetratec ex1200

pretty much the daddy when it comes to value for money. better filters are out there, but they arent as good value. theres nothing wrong with these, i have one, lots of people have them. look on ebay or secondhand for a cheaper one. you cannot go wrong with one of those.

the LPH measurement should always be taken with a pinch of salt. most companies quote the figure without media in the filter, meaning more water can go through. then when you set the filter up, all of a sudden the media is obstructing the water and the LPH drops to a more realistic level. Eheim are the only company i know of who quote with media IN the filter. UV isnt totally necessary, ive never had it and never had a problem.

edit - the tetratecs also come in smaller sizes if you want. the ex1200 has 4 media trays in, which i notice is more than the one you've linked to above.

I would say go for JBL models, especially as there is a fast approaching discount period.

These filters are big, have excellent flow, are totally silent, and have a growing fanbase.

I really can't recommend them enough.

I would say go for JBL models, especially as there is a fast approaching discount period.

These filters are big, have excellent flow, are totally silent, and have a growing fanbase.

I really can't recommend them enough.

Thanks do you have a link at all?

Cheers Rusty

Sure :) e700

Thats the e700, I'm currently running both the e700 & e900 models.

The other handy feature, is the flow adjuster :) I had to turn down the flow to half on my e900 to stop water being spilled out the other side of the tank! lol :) There's loads of room for media (it comes with ceramics and sponge), and it comes with all the usual hoselock etc. I also added bio balls to the bigger of the two.

Most reactions

Back