Which Equipment Is The Best Or Some What The Best?

Cut a long story short, a 50g tank bought all new won't be possible on a £300 budget, so if that is a fixed size, you will need to go second hand for pretty much everything. :nod: Waterdrop and LauraFrog have coverd most in sourcing second hand tanks and filteration, so I won't go over it again :good: Laura makes a good recomendation in finding an aquatics society, as buying second hand can be dodgy if you don't know what you are looking at. An aquatics society won't try to rip you off, where other sellers may do :good:

Heaters may be about the only thing you can get new in your budget. For internals, go with Visitherm, exturnal Hydor. I know someone running a 30 year old Visitherm and they last. I know of plenty of others running this brand also and none have had issues. Hydor are relatively new to the market, but being electronic heaters, there isn't realy anything to go wrong with them.

Have a good read of the pinned thread on setting up an aquarium by Miss Wiggle and most topics are either coverd in the thread, or linked to. Any questons after that (or before), feel free to ask :good:

HTH
Rabbut

:eek: not possible?

Where you shopping at? cinemas candy shop?

You would easy do it on that budget.

I've got a second hand 55 gallon tank. Equipment, decor, and hardware has cost me about $200 US so far. That's about 110 pounds I think? If you're willing to buy second hand and put a little elbow grease into it there are some serious deals to be had. 300 pounds should be more than enough to set up something in the 50 gallon range, even starting mostly new.

In my shopping the big killer is usually the stand which can be as much as the tank. It's amazing what they'll charge for 1/2 inch plywood and veneer. If you've got a wood or metal worker in your family talk to them and you'll get a much nicer stand for a heck of a lot cheaper. If not grab your phone book and find a metal worker. A simple angle iron stand can be had for cheap.

For a filter while I'm sure more than a few will lambaste me for suggesting it, a simple hang on back filter can get the filtration job done and cost 1/2 to a 1/3 what a canister filter will cost you. Heck if you're worried buy two of them, it's still cheaper.

If you do start to look at a tank and want a 55 gallon one, standard size, go ahead and get a 75 gallon tank, the extra five inches of depth is priceless.

1500 pounds for a 50+ gallon freshwater tank? That's a tricked out 100+ gallon saltwater set up kind of budget.

The supposed £300 Fluval tank BigPig quotes is £370, with a poor filter included IMO. Fluval offer a seriously large discount to retailers (arround the 30% mark) if they buy more than 20 at a time (I know, I work in aquatics retail). I believe this is a big factor in why they are still about, as this discount makes them cheap-enough to get people to buy them, with a profit making them worth the while for the retailer, as they have lots of issues as they get towards the end of the warrenty period, as well as just outside... :/ You know the filter is poor if a manufacturer can't sell their kit without a discount. Eheim, Tetratec, Aquaone don't have to do that, and even the poor-quality Cascade filters don't do that bigger discount to get them away :rolleyes:

The filter is the place where you should spend your cash, as it is the most important piece of kit in the tank. Fluval can be described as budget quality at best IMO. In the UK, Eheim are widely considered the best (avoid the Ecco range and the termo versions of any exturnal brand) and Tetratec make a good alternative on a tight budget. Tetratec are my favoured band ATM, but I won't give you my view of Eheim (it tends to caurse arguments) :shifty:

Round my way, a new 50g tank can be bought new for about £400-£450ish with decent kit. Yes, a 50g is possible second hand for £300 with good kit. It would appear as though some have miss-read my first post :good: If building second-hand, pacience may be required, as good kit don't come round all that often. Bartering skills will also help save your budget.

Buy a filter rated for a tank far larger than the tank it is being bought for, as every manufacturer is "optimistic" about their filter's performance. Heaters must be the right size. Undersize and it won't get the tank to temperature, oversize and the temperature will fluctuate as the heater will raise the temperature too much before the thermostat swithes off the element. 50Watts over won't do a great deal, but enough heating for a 100g in a 50 will lead to a "bouncy" temperature :nod: lighting depends on what plants (if any) you want to keep. A tank and stand are both farily strait foreward. On top of blue seals, look for any algea under the silicone or any signs of the silicone pealing/seal damage/tearing. Also, ask the age of any equipment when considering the purcahse. Know the expected life-span of the equipment you are considering, and make sure it still has life left in it :good:

A damaged tank isn't always a scrap case. This is where experience comes in. Some things are fixable and others aren't. The ease of fixing can be used to barter, assuming you know how to fix the issue. Equipment is where you are most likely to be conned, as things can be covered up easily. Be weary of anything that isn't clean as this can hide stress fractures. Trust also plays a part. I diden't check over some filter's I bought of Miss Wiggle and her other half some time ago, as I trusted their word. If it were any other customer that wasn't a regular in the shop I work at, that I spoke to regularly, I'd have stripped the filter's first and checked everything under a good light, before re-assembling and testing with water. A genuine seller that knows the equipment is fine won't mind you doing this, but if they know something is bust... :shifty:

HTH
Rabbut

I'm planning on purchasing my tank in october/november, so for that reason I'm going to research on majority of things that I can before then. Im also looking on different websites/ads and other places on second hand and normal tanks.
And yep I was also on the hardware section where they were speaking about "Eheim" filteration, so im planning into looking into good filterations. Most likely I may either get either the following items second hand or normal:
1) Tank, stand and hood
2) Filter
3) Heater
4) And etc items.

However, I may also get a packaged system. But by the time I get to october I should have more money then 300, and I will also have alot more knowledge (hopefully) regarding equipment and whats what. But regarding second hand equipment, how would you know if they are broken? Like filteration.... other than putting it on... is there away? Or do I ensure everythings intacted?

The supposed £300 Fluval tank BigPig quotes is £370, with a poor filter included IMO. Fluval offer a seriously large discount to retailers (arround the 30% mark) if they buy more than 20 at a time (I know, I work in aquatics retail). I believe this is a big factor in why they are still about, as this discount makes them cheap-enough to get people to buy them, with a profit making them worth the while for the retailer, as they have lots of issues as they get towards the end of the warrenty period, as well as just outside... :/ You know the filter is poor if a manufacturer can't sell their kit without a discount. Eheim, Tetratec, Aquaone don't have to do that, and even the poor-quality Cascade filters don't do that bigger discount to get them away :rolleyes:

HTH
Rabbut

Really don't know what you on about the price says £299? open the link and read

A second person in this thread stated he got the same tank for around 300 pounds in local shop

She could sell the filter on and replace with a ehim classic and still be very close to her budget

with equipment just ask to see it running. it's pretty obvious then if it doesn't work.

a heater can easily be put into a bucket/sink of cold water and plugged in, they have lights on to show when they are on so if it doesn't immediately light up then it's faulty.

heaters are a little bit fragile so be wary of buying them over the internet, if they aren't packaged well and get thrown around in the post they can break very easily.

likewise for a filter ask to see it running, check the flow rate, it's a little bit instinctive this but you get an idea of how much water should be pushed around the tank, if the flow rate seems unsteady or weak then don't buy it. If possible ask to see them starting up the filter, external filter's aren't always plug and play, they usually have to be 'primed' to get water flowing through them, some filters just have to push a button and it'll do it, some you have to pump a level for a few minutes, so expect to see them spending a minute or so getting it started up, but it shouldn't be more than say 5 minutes. I've a filter at the moment which works fine but the primer has broken so we have to muck around for ages to get it going, i'd advise against getting anything like that!

If you know someone else who keeps fish and understands the equipment ask to have a look at their filter and they should talk you through the different parts and what to look out for. it's the sort of thing that's pretty tricky to do over the web but works in person!!

Thank you very so much with the help, I'm going to relook into the package Bigpig posted as it looks like a brilliant offer, and im going to check for second hand equipments :) but thanks alot everyone!

The Fluval tanks are great, as are their lighting and the cabinets come in many finishes. Overall they are good, but I realy dislike their filters. From BigPig's post, I'd do as he surgests and sell the filter and get a replacement along the lines of a second hand Eheim Pro2 or a new classic or a new Tetratec EX700/1200, latter being best IMO. The classics are a little more fiddely than the pro lines. IMO the Pro2 or Tetra would be best, but would likely need to find an Eheim pro2 second hand. Not easy, they are considered the best and are rarely sold on, and when they do they are usualy picked up quickly if in good nic :good:

Sorry BigPig, knowing the specs of the tank fairly well, I skimmed the set-up description and found a price at the bottom saying three hundered and seventy something... Having looked it over again, I realise that that is the RRP, not the sale price :blush: That is a good deal, but I would seriously ditch the filter it ships with. Also, if you buy from them, make sure delivery is insured, and that you inspect the tank before signing. Tanks are fragile and personally, I would not buy one on-line as you can't garentee that it will arrive in-tact...

All the best
Rabbut

The Fluval tanks are great, as are their lighting and the cabinets come in many finishes. Overall they are good, but I realy dislike their filters. From BigPig's post, I'd do as he surgests and sell the filter and get a replacement along the lines of a second hand Eheim Pro2 or a new classic or a new Tetratec EX700/1200, latter being best IMO. The classics are a little more fiddely than the pro lines. IMO the Pro2 or Tetra would be best, but would likely need to find an Eheim pro2 second hand. Not easy, they are considered the best and are rarely sold on, and when they do they are usualy picked up quickly if in good nic :good:

Sorry BigPig, knowing the specs of the tank fairly well, I skimmed the set-up description and found a price at the bottom saying three hundered and seventy something... Having looked it over again, I realise that that is the RRP, not the sale price :blush: That is a good deal, but I would seriously ditch the filter it ships with. Also, if you buy from them, make sure delivery is insured, and that you inspect the tank before signing. Tanks are fragile and personally, I would not buy one on-line as you can't garentee that it will arrive in-tact...

All the best
Rabbut

But like most of you said far better deals are to be had second hand. But if she not comfortable going second hand she can get what she wants and in budget.

I would print the page then go to a local dealers and ask for discount if his price is nowhere near it :) I got my osaka 20 pounds cheaper than that site

I've had a fluval filter for years now with no problems at all.
When your doing weekly clean take the propeller out and clean that and use a cotton bud to clean the shaft the propeller sits in

I've looked on www.craigslist.com and found a 75 gallon tank with everything but filter for $150. They said they'd throw in a canister filter for an extra $100. I didn't have the money at the time, blah. Anyway, if I were you I'd find a used tank/stand/hood and spend the leftover money on a new filter/filter media/food/chemicals/etc.

Most reactions

Back