Which Dechlorinator, And Shelf Life

I have gone with the trend here and purchased a 1/2 litre bottle of Seachem prime, had never heard of that one until you guys mentioned it, so thanks very much.

Oh thank you!

I felt I was a little late to jump in and scream don't buy nutrafin aqua safe! My girlfriend used that when she set up her tank, whenever she did a water change an added it there was a trace of ammonia showing up but not in straight tap water. By trace I mean a constant 0.5 reading on the API liquid test kit. Through some research and questioning I found out it was because this brand of dechlorinator "neutralises" Chloramines into Ammonia which isn't so good but doesn't take it any further.

However a lot of other brands go one step further and neutralise that ammonia into ammonium which is much better... Prime does that!

I have Prime too, fantastic product and like the bottle says... when faecal matter hits the fan you can dose up to 5x as much to save the day.

I think I read that you shouldn't use prime in a fishless cycle, as it takes out the ammonia, but I had also read that it is a fab product for after the cycle is finished-just a thought if you were going to fishless cycle!

I think I read that you shouldn't use prime in a fishless cycle, as it takes out the ammonia, but I had also read that it is a fab product for after the cycle is finished-just a thought if you were going to fishless cycle!

though this may, seem, to be the case in fact, its not. though it is "bound", it is still available to the Bio mass bacteria, to feed on.
chemically it changes NH3 to NH4 and binds it. as this is reversible. Prime will not, adversely, effect you cycle. indeed, there is no better product out there.

though this may, seem, to be the case in fact, its not. though it is "bound", it is still available to the Bio mass bacteria, to feed on.
chemically it changes NH3 to NH4 and binds it. as this is reversible. Prime will not, adversely, effect you cycle. indeed, there is no better product out there.
Thanks for that! I have read several articles stating that it stalls the cycling, but I have no experience either way, so it's useful to know that it can be used in the fishless cycle
Carole x

Thanks for that! I have read several articles stating that it stalls the cycling, but I have no experience either way, so it's useful to know that it can be used in the fishless cycle
Carole x

yes, i have read a few too. thing is, there are so many reasons for a cycle to stall or fail, pinnin it on Prime is, often, the easy answer. whilst i would not say "it defiantly has no ill effects on a cycle, ever." it will not be the ammonia lock, that would cause any . and, whilst the are secretive about the ingredients, there is little else in there to cause problems.

I guess the sheer number of people who use it, successfully, is probably the best indication.

Thanks for clearing that up Raptorrex, i was a little unsure on mixing products, as i do intend to do a fishless cycle. I know this means a longer more agonising wait for the fishy part, but woth every second of it, if it means my fish are going to get the best start.
Should hopefully get the bottle of seachem prime by the beggining of next week, so thats another thing i can knock off the list.

Below link is from Seachem website FAQ.
In answering the third question, they state Prime will not halt your cycling process.
But is that the same as stall???!!!!:rofl:

I will be getting some anyway!

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html

Below link is from Seachem website FAQ.
In answering the third question, they state Prime will not halt your cycling process.
But is that the same as stall???!!!!:rofl:

I will be getting some anyway!

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime.html
Cheers for that, that has answered a lot of my concerns, it's my very first attempt at trying get a tropical aquarium up and running, i will probably need all the help i can get, lol

Carole x

yes, i have read a few too. thing is, there are so many reasons for a cycle to stall or fail, pinnin it on Prime is, often, the easy answer. whilst i would not say "it defiantly has no ill effects on a cycle, ever." it will not be the ammonia lock, that would cause any . and, whilst the are secretive about the ingredients, there is little else in there to cause problems.

I guess the sheer number of people who use it, successfully, is probably the best indication.
I woke up this morning with a question on my mind-if you use prime in a fishless cycle, how can you measure your ammonia in your cycle?
Carole x

Carole x

I woke up this morning with a question on my mind-if you use prime in a fishless cycle, how can you measure your ammonia in your cycle?
Carole x

brilliant question!
I believe, many, kits would show both nh3 and nh4. but you may need to check. however, as i said the binding is not preminant. somewhere between 24 and 48 hours all the effects of Prime, additives, have ceased. though bound chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals, stay so.

Carole x

Carole x

brilliant question!
I believe, many, kits would show both nh3 and nh4. but you may need to check. however, as i said the binding is not preminant. somewhere between 24 and 48 hours all the effects of Prime, additives, have ceased. though bound chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals, stay so.
Thank you! It's funny how things come popping into my head at silly O'Clock! I am glad it wasn't a silly question though!!

Ok, now i have managed to aquire both a chemical test kit and a bottle of the highly recommended sea-chem,
i am looking at filters, i am by no means stacked with cash, so have been looking at these filters on ebay 1400

or this one, 2000
Which would you guys recommend for my 170 tank?, i don't want to batter the poor fish with too strong a current, but i want to be able to maximise filtration, of course any guiding hand would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry if the links don't show up, i'm a link virgin, lol

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Ok, now i have managed to aquire both a chemical test kit and a bottle of the highly recommended sea-chem,
i am looking at filters, i am by no means stacked with cash, so have been looking at these filters on ebay 1400

or this one, 2000
Which would you guys recommend for my 170 tank?, i don't want to batter the poor fish with too strong a current, but i want to be able to maximise filtration, of course any guiding hand would be greatly appreciated.
Your links worked fine, i would imagine the 1400 would be more than suitable based on that it will cycle your 170ltr tank 8 times in one hour.

Thanks for that Skins, i did kind of think the 1400 would be more than adequate, but have read in some books, and aquarium websites that bigger is better, just wanted to double check.
May treat myself to an early christmas prezzie and pick one of the 1400 up, have dropped enough hints to the family with no avail.

or this one, 2000
Your links worked fine, i would imagine the 1400 would be more than suitable based on that it will cycle your 170ltr tank 8 times in one hour.

more like, just under 4 times, if you are lucky. personally I'd like more flow, but its a good, ish, start.

Most reactions

Back