where to get rare livebearers?

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
2x Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
hello! im wondering how people get their livebearers other than common ones. many types of poecilia other than guppy and endler and molly are hard to find...
i found a baby halfbeak once but thats the rarest i got, also albino swordtail
im looking for
montezuma swordtail
picta guppy
rare guppy strains(poecilia reticulata strains)

Check out EBay and Aquatic Arts. There are some incredible strains of guppy available on eBay and some harder to come by livebearers at Aquatic Arts. I wouldn’t mix guppy strains though, the babies end up with diluted colors that aren’t as desirable

hello! im wondering how people get their livebearers other than common ones. many types of poecilia other than guppy and endler and molly are hard to find...
i found a baby halfbeak once but thats the rarest i got, also albino swordtail
im looking for
montezuma swordtail
picta guppy
rare guppy strains(poecilia reticulata strains)
Well, trying to find rare livebearers isn't always that easy. Especially, when you're in an area where only common ones are available. But for sure you're able to find rare livebearers at ALA (American Livebearer Association). You can google for it.
I do work with an international network where the focus is mainly rare livebearers. If you'd live closer, I'd say: Hop by! I've got a range of rare livebearers swimming overhere (both fancy & wild). So yes, also in the fancy segment, there are rare strains available. But I'm also owning wild and lab strains. As I've told before on this forum, my main focus are rare livebearers.
Check out: www.emeraldking-aquatics.com. This is my informative website regarding livebearers.

I'm with @emeraldking . For years, I kept and bred Xiphophorus. My experience says forget asking stores. The fishfarms have a way of getting 3 species of a swordtail, for example, and immediately crossing them to make a commercial hybrid. They never seem to value the difference between a species and a 'strain'. They do the same with rainbows.
So that drives you back to a small number of people who keep wild type livebearers. For me as a Canadian aquarist, I know of half a dozen people in my entire country. For you in the USA, the ALA will be your friends. Your larger population base is a luxury in the hunt.
You may see ALA people selling on AquaBid, but this is the off season.
When I had a lot of wild types, I networked, networked and then networked some more.

One of the funny things in our hobby is that I have never once found a Xiphophorus maculatus in tanks. I've watched them in Belize, in a river, but the supposedly common platy is the rarest of the rare. My local stores have tons of platys/swordtail/variatus hybrids, some going back to crosses close to a century ago. But the fish as you'd find it in nature is one I just have never gotten my paws on. I have the closely related X milleri here, but maculatus is a holy grail fish.

I got M picta via Germany, once. I've had wild guppies, from a Trinidadian friend. They were great. I lost my montezumae a few years back, to a mystery disease, and would love to see them again. A friend had gone down to the ALA convention, and I did the 7 hours round trip to get my original pair, from his fry. I had them for years. You have to really be willing to hunt for these fish, unless by posting your question, you've networked enough that someone sends you a PM, and you're on your way!

Check out EBay and Aquatic Arts. There are some incredible strains of guppy available on eBay and some harder to come by livebearers at Aquatic Arts. I wouldn’t mix guppy strains though, the babies end up with diluted colors that aren’t as desirable
most of my guppies go to sell anyway i can keep track of the strains as for now
I'm with @emeraldking . For years, I kept and bred Xiphophorus. My experience says forget asking stores. The fishfarms have a way of getting 3 species of a swordtail, for example, and immediately crossing them to make a commercial hybrid. They never seem to value the difference between a species and a 'strain'. They do the same with rainbows.
So that drives you back to a small number of people who keep wild type livebearers. For me as a Canadian aquarist, I know of half a dozen people in my entire country. For you in the USA, the ALA will be your friends. Your larger population base is a luxury in the hunt.
You may see ALA people selling on AquaBid, but this is the off season.
When I had a lot of wild types, I networked, networked and then networked some more.

One of the funny things in our hobby is that I have never once found a Xiphophorus maculatus in tanks. I've watched them in Belize, in a river, but the supposedly common platy is the rarest of the rare. My local stores have tons of platys/swordtail/variatus hybrids, some going back to crosses close to a century ago. But the fish as you'd find it in nature is one I just have never gotten my paws on. I have the closely related X milleri here, but maculatus is a holy grail fish.

I got M picta via Germany, once. I've had wild guppies, from a Trinidadian friend. They were great. I lost my montezumae a few years back, to a mystery disease, and would love to see them again. A friend had gone down to the ALA convention, and I did the 7 hours round trip to get my original pair, from his fry. I had them for years. You have to really be willing to hunt for these fish, unless by posting your question, you've networked enough that someone sends you a PM, and you're on your way!
thanks a lot.
lfs says they only ship from some spots and the spot does not have montezumae

I've got a group of Xiphophorus maculatus purpur from Belize swimming at my place.
IMG_3334.jpg
But I've got some other wild Xiphophorus maculatus species overhere as well. Just like other wild platy species besides the Maculatus color morphs.

I've got a group of Xiphophorus maculatus purpur from Belize swimming at my place.
View attachment 151244
But I've got some other wild Xiphophorus maculatus species overhere as well. Just like other wild platy species besides the Maculatus color morphs.
ooh pretty like a little gemstone

there's some wild gambusia affinis in our area nothing as interesting as yours
also some weird oto-like catfish

ooh pretty like a little gemstone

there's some wild gambusia affinis in our area nothing as interesting as yours
also some weird oto-like catfish
Gambusia affinis are also interesting fish to be honest...
But I do have to admit that I've got rid of both Gambusia affinis and Gambusia holbrooki. And instead, I'm keeping the Gambusia hurtadoi. Their bodyshape is more bolder.

Gambusia affinis are also interesting fish to be honest...
But I do have to admit that I've got rid of both Gambusia affinis and Gambusia holbrooki. And instead, I'm keeping the Gambusia hurtadoi. Their bodyshape is more bolder.
tbh im not sure if mine are gambusia affinis or holbrooki i got rid of them wheni kept them for like a year
im making a native tank and im capturing some mosquitofish in summer :D

I am very jealous of your maculatus. The one in the photo looks very much like what I watched in the Belize River.

I have been looking for wild types since I figured out the store ones weren't the natural fish, sometime in my teens. That goes back 45 or so years. The closest I've come is my milleri.
I like Gambusia. I had nicaraguensis for many years, as well as affinis. As long as we keep them in tanks and never let them out, they're great.

I can go to the upper reaches of the Swan River for wild X. variatus. They are nice colours too.

If you live in the USA go on a road trip down south and pull over to the side of the road when you see a creek or stream. When nobody is looking, drop a couple of bait traps in the water and sit in your car for 30 minutes. When nobody is around, pull the traps, put fish in buckets and move to the next location.

Keep each lot of fish separate until they are identified.

I have to confess, when I've gone on family vacations to Central America (pre-covid-19 days) I always grabbed a few hours to explore what could be found in the creeks and cenotes. The mollies - they are so much more interesting and beautiful than the hybrids we see in stores....
Even if you can't legally bring them home, they are something to see in nature.

Even if you can't legally bring them home, they are something to see in nature.
Jerry can full of water and fish. Looks like a container of fuel and nobody thinks to look in them.

Most reactions

Back