where to find good bettas

uh oh i think i might have chosen a sick betta :(
i put him in a salt bath cos he has excess mucous and a part of a fin that has been hurt

Maybe you should exchange him & do a big water change & check the params?
I forgot, where did you say he came from?

Maybe you should exchange him & do a big water change & check the params?
I forgot, where did you say he came from?
Petsmart :(
I will just return him, wait a while until new tank is cycled and get a new one

Paramus are all normal
All other fish r fine

when I started buying fish, the entire fish department at petsmart was closed down because of all the sick fish. The water was cloudy from medications. I’ve done much better at Petco, the LFS & even online

when I started buying fish, the entire fish department at petsmart was closed down because of all the sick fish. The water was cloudy from medications. I’ve done much better at Petco, the LFS & even online
all pet stores, even chains are different
our petco is brand new and the tanks are not even cycled, you'd find PILes literally piles of dead fish there
im waiting until thursday. thats when they get new bettas
tank should be cycled then too

Totally agree! At the time the PetSmart fish dept.was closed down , I called another new Big Box store & they said no fish available due to sickness. All were under quarantine for an indefinite period. I mentioned Petsmart & she said they had the same vendor. Fortunately Petco & LFS get their fish someplace else.

I don't buy bettas at chain stores like Petsmart or Petco. I think you often get sick bettas from them. I also don't like how they treat fish. I think the best place is a local fish store. If they keep the bettas in small tanks instead of little jars, that's a good sign that they treat their bettas right.

I don't buy bettas at chain stores like Petsmart or Petco. I think you often get sick bettas from them. I also don't like how they treat fish. I think the best place is a local fish store. If they keep the bettas in small tanks instead of little jars, that's a good sign that they treat their bettas right.
yes my lfs still jars them they do not look too well
other (L)fs is overpriced
i wanted to get a pair of wild bettas but its like 120 dollars
normal bettas are like 30
except for the female koi bettas they keep in a huge tank as a sorority( not sure if that is a good idea)
and they look cool

I feel like you do end up paying more for a place that treats a betta right, because it is more expensive for them. Keeping them in jars and not caring if they get sick is pretty cheap. I'm willing to pay a little more for a betta I know has been treated better is far less likely to be sick. I enjoy the betta on a daily basis for years, so it's not that expensive when considered that way.

I feel like you do end up paying more for a place that treats a betta right, because it is more expensive for them. Keeping them in jars and not caring if they get sick is pretty cheap. I'm willing to pay a little more for a betta I know has been treated better is far less likely to be sick. I enjoy the betta on a daily basis for years, so it's not that expensive when considered that way.
i agree
the only thing that is better about that place is that they have leaves in the betta containers
everything else is the same

hello, im wondering if you have a preference for where to get your bettas
lfs?
big box store?
online even?
I get mine from wherever but it's important you check for infections beforehand to avoid going through a lot of stress. It isn't the store, it's the fish.

I get mine from wherever but it's important you check for infections beforehand to avoid going through a lot of stress. It isn't the store, it's the fish.
tru they get sourced from all the same places

Most reactions

Back