When Will Nitrites/nitrates Go Up?

Mercury2234

Reaction score
Hello,

I have recently started a 30g fish in cycle (LFS told me to do it) with zebra danios. Anyhoo, I am on day 15 and I am still not picking up any Nitrites/Nitrates! My ammonia has been constant throughout the process...0 - .50; never higher than .50 as I do water changes whenever I approach close to that level (3 different ammonia test kits).

Any suggestions as to why? or its normal and i shoudnt worry?

Hello,

I have recently started a 30g fish in cycle (LFS told me to do it) with zebra danios. Anyhoo, I am on day 15 and I am still not picking up any Nitrites/Nitrates! My ammonia has been constant throughout the process...0 - .50; never higher than .50 as I do water changes whenever I approach close to that level (3 different ammonia test kits).

Any suggestions as to why? or its normal and i shoudnt worry?

I know this won't give you an answer per say, but when I was doing a fish-in cycle I was exactly the same as you with my ammonia, never really got nitrite spikes. Thought I had them twice but it was user error with the test. I was in fish-in cycle for 45 days, then the fish found a minute hole and jumped out, so now in fishless cycle .. getting trace nitrite levels after 3 days. Like I said I know that it doesn't give you a reason why. I still don't know why I never got any readings other than ammonia in 45 days ... I was using zebra danios as well. But I don't think 15 days is that long, I know some people who say a fish-in cycle can take 2 months or longer. My only advise would be to stick with it, the bacteria can't hold out forever.

Good Luck

Most reactions

Back