When Should Guppy Fry Be Added To The Main Tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

guppy2002

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
(sorry if someone already asked this question)

when?

well it depends on their tankmates but ive found that around 1 to 2 inches is good to release them.

Depends on how big their tank mates mouths are.....

Especially if one's a piranha. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
tongue2.gif

So yeah, basically just see if they are bigger than the mouths of their tank mates.  :)

DiddleBug said:
Especially if one's a piranha. Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
tongue2.gif

So yeah, basically just see if they are bigger than the mouths of their tank mates.  
smile.png
piranha actually dont attack small fish, only ones they can actually something out of.

When they're big enough to avoid being eaten. If you have only small fish, like I used to when I bred guppies, I found I could usually release them at 1-2 months of age, around 3/4-1 inch long :)

I have neon tetras in my platty swordtail tank and they're not disappearing so I use that as my guide. I try and keep them in the fry tank as long as they aren't hassling the other fry. I think try the biggest one first leave for a day if still alive then I would try the same with the next biggest and so on. To me it's trial and error. I've only had fish for 16 weeks so I just guess with things like this. I have lost 2 fish and few babies in that time and had 7 babies that were picked out my main tank. I guess it depends what tank mates you are looking at.

if you have something like African dwarf frogs maturity should be the smallest, with other livebearers 3-4 weeks

Most reactions

Back