Wheat in flaked foods.

No food is a staple. An insect eating fish catches ants, mosquitoes, various larvae, termites - whatever falls into the water or lights on it to breed. So bloodworms are good, sometimes. Wingless fruit flies for surface feeders? Great. Mosquito larvae? White worms? Soldier fly larvae foods? The mistake is wanting one food to unite them all. Throw that idea into Mount Doom, and vary diets.
I'm allergic to bloodworms, so I had to research why. Bloodworms are a form of Chironomid fly larvae - non biting midges. I get live ones in my daphnia cultures in summer if I leave the lid off, although maybe one for every 100 daphnia and 50 mosquito larvae.

It's easy to culture whiteworms and grindal worms, but they are too fatty to be a staple. Artemia are small, daphnia are roughage, etc. They work together.

Live food is work. It's alive, it escapes, it bites you, it has various nutritional profiles, shells and hard bits, etc. Not everyone wants to culture it, so prepared fishfoods exist. If you go that route, vary. Three types of food, or five, or seven....

When I was a kid, tetramin was the quality stuff, and I always bought staple, growth food, colour food and green food, to rotate them. It's a little easier now with the number of brands out there.
BTW - the undigestible parts are good. Not all of an ant can be digested, and the roughage helps with the passage of the food. Food is more than nutrition.
I've got daphnia, brine shrimp, bloodworm, white mosquite larvae, krill, spinach/veggie, red rotifiers, cyclops in my freezer and I rotate.

Most reactions

Back