Whats Wrong With Him?

alexiooc

Reaction score
I went away for a few days and got back yesterday, and to my horror my betta has some sort of growth on his head! Before I went he didnt have a mark on him and now he isnt swimming around the tank properly. Its like red and his scales are sticking up. He's in a tank with 3 platies and they dont have anything on them at all. Ive tested the water and the PH is a little low but not too bad, and ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels are all good. If anyone knows it is, how can I get rid of it?

Ive taken some pictures of it (i had to put food in the water to get him to move)

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 55
Ight be some sort of fungal infection
Give him a tank all to himself and treat him with Melafix or Bettafix
Good luck and keep us updated :good:

Ight be some sort of fungal infection
Give him a tank all to himself and treat him with Melafix or Bettafix
Good luck and keep us updated :good:
melafix and bettafix create a oil residue on the top of the tank which can be harmful to the labyrinth lung of bettas and other anabantoids.

It looks more like a bacterial infection to me, but it could easily be either. if you've got aquarium salt, go ahead and throw some of that in there and see how it progresses, that's a pretty handy general cure method, but don't buy meds til you know for sure what you're treating.

In my experience Melafix and Bettafix work fine. If you follow the dosage on the bottle, it will cause no harm. I have use it on my Fin nippers and it works great. And it has never left a residue at the top of my tank.

In my experience Melafix and Bettafix work fine. If you follow the dosage on the bottle, it will cause no harm. I have use it on my Fin nippers and it works great. And it has never left a residue at the top of my tank.

+1

Another debate about melafix and bettafix lol. Sorry to hear about your betta he is pretty. Looks like fungus of sorts maybe a water change is required I would do 50% and place him in a QT tank for treatment. Let us know how it goes goodluck!

Well good news! My fish seems to be a lot healthier and happier, and hasnt got a bit red lump on his head anymore. I took another picture of him today, and you can see his improvement.

Also this was without any anti fungal medication, or aquarium salt, just good old fashioned water changes every other day. (I was going to go to my lfs today to buy medication, but he seems ok)

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 50

Most reactions

Back