What's The Smallest Cory?

Cro-Baller

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Can someone let me know what the smallest Cory is please, and how many I can put in my daughters 60ltr tank. There is currently 5 Guppies, 5 Glowlight Tetras, a number of Cherry Shrimp and a small Frog in her tank. There were 4 Chain loach but they turned out to be bad fin nippers, killng 1 Guppie and seriously injuring 2 others, so these need replacing.

We really like the Sterbi but as I want to get 4 for her tank, I must make sure they're not going to get too big.

Oh and incase you're wondering, the Chain loach are now in my tank, they are one of the smallest so they shouldn't pose a problem.

Realistically you could have a few different cories to choose from to put in a 60Ltr tank. Something like the false Juliis (tileanatus something) seem to be smaller than the albinos or bronzes. They are a little like the sterbais. The pygmy cories don't look like most other corys and may not be to your liking. Otherwise you could look at something like pandas. The guppys and tetras are probably going to appreciate cooler water which the Sterbais won't be so impressed with so... its all a balancing act.

pymaeus are the smallest of the 3 pygmy corys - look like little mice

habrosus and hastatus are more like regular corys

Hi Cro-Baller :)

Some of the Aspidoras species, which are closely related to corys, are very small too.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=45

Not to go off topic, but is your frog an African Dwarf Frog or an African Clawed Frog? If you aren't sure, look at its "hands." The little ADFs will have ones that are webbed and resemble mittens. These are safe with the smaller fish. If it's an ACF, the hands will have long pointy fingers. These frogs will grow big enough to eat all the other fish in the tank.

Hi Cro-Baller :)

Some of the Aspidoras species, which are closely related to corys, are very small too.

[URL="http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=45"]http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=45[/URL]

Not to go off topic, but is your frog an African Dwarf Frog or an African Clawed Frog? If you aren't sure, look at its "hands." The little ADFs will have ones that are webbed and resemble mittens. These are safe with the smaller fish. If it's an ACF, the hands will have long pointy fingers. These frogs will grow big enough to eat all the other fish in the tank.
Hi Inchworm,

The Frog is an ADF, I didn't know about the ACF so thanks for the info. I feel much better now I've been able to positively ID it as the LFS just said "it's a Frog, we've had it for over a month and it hasn't got any bigger so it should be OK in your tank". :rolleyes:

Your link has proved very useful also, we have a winner in there which my daughter has picked out. :good:

Say hello to her future new pets (we'll be getting 6)

Aspidoras pauciradiatus
a_pauciradiatus2.jpg

Most reactions

Back