What's The Biggest Freshwater Aquarium Fish You've Ever Seen?

woo proved ya wrong on that one.

biggest fresh water fish that i've seen..14" common plec. even got a pic to prove

At my local petstore they have a really big common pleco. Also a really big oranda goldfish in a 100g. tank. And in the other 100 g. they have a big parot fish. And surprisingly these people who run this petstore are actually taking care of them right, including the fact that they are in the right size fish tanks. But the only thing that gets me is the fact that they sell young arowanas every once and a while. People who probably dont know anything about the fish probably buy them and put them in too small fish tanks and the people at the petstore dont say anything about how big the fish get or anything. Some people at the pet store know what their talking about but there are some people who work there that know nothing about fish, but still are working in the fish section.

certain types of catfish are the biggest freshwater fish in the world im pretty sure. ive seen 300 pounder in sporting goods store fishtank.

i know they can get to be over 500lbs.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8404622/ thats a 646lbs catfish.

the UK's biggest FW fish is at the blue planet aquarium, they have a 4.25 metre arapriama, he's absolutely stunning :wub:

Great White Sharks do NOT go up rivers, they can't survive in freshwater.

The sharks you are thinking of is Bull Sharks, they have been sighted, in the Mississippi river, 500 to 600 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and have attacked a few people.

I have also heard unconfirmed reports of Bull Sharks in the Great Lakes.....but can't find any real proof.

Alot of people, when hearing of a shark attack, automatically think of a Great White Shark because they are the biggest so it makes sense why some people would believe that the Great White would have attacked them.....it didn't. The Great White actually doesn't attack THAT many people really (nor do other sharks, shark attacks are blown out of proportion), the Bull and Lemon sharks attack more.....so do a couple of other species....can't remember them right now.

That particular attack was researched in depth and the river was sedged, and a bull shark tooth was found: Great Whites are ocean goers and too sizeable to penetrate a creek system, bull sharks are able to cope without salt: as seen in the Ganges in Bangledesh where Bull shark attacks are common.

You are right about GWs not attacking many people: in general theyre territories dont occur close enough to shore for this anyway: far more common attacks are by the Whaler Family(including Bronze, Black Tip reefies, White tip reefies), Tigers and by far the most Bull Sharks. Lemon sharks rarely ever attack, generally considered harmless hence why kept at aquariums with Nurses.

A 36 inch Brown Trout at the new Cabellas warehouse in Utah. I bet it would weigh more than 10 lbs.

I've caught these while flyfishing but the biggest was only 21 inches.

SLC

I have to agree with SLC Flyfishing, the Cabela's in Lehi, Utah has some awesome fish in some massive tank, both cold water and cool water. But I have seen and caught some big stripers in Lake Powell.

a whale... :rolleyes: im serious... okay then a 3foot catfish at kew gardens. *says under voice* "whale would of won this.... sheash why can't it be freshwater... and not a mamal" :fun:

Most reactions

Back