Whats The Best (and Least Stressful) Way To Transport Fish?

joss81

Reaction score
Hiya

Ive got to try and transport my tropical fish from my old house 50 miles to my new one!!
It takes about an hour and a half, i need to know which is the best way to do this. Ive had these fish for some years and really dont want them to get over stressed and/or injured. Also are there any tips on keeping the water warm or oxygenated for long enough to get them over here.
Last question!!!!!!!!!!!! will they all go in together or will they need to be transported seperately?
I have 1 ghost knife fish (which is my pride and joy!!!!!)
1 Bristlenose plec
1 cory
1 silver dollar
3 gouramis
1 glassfish
couple of little neons and a danio (which is as old as the hills and has one eye! but still going)
couple of barbs
thats it i think!!
I'd be most greatful for any help cos just the thought of it is making me anxious!!!!!!!!
cheers!

Hiya

Ive got to try and transport my tropical fish from my old house 50 miles to my new one!!
It takes about an hour and a half, i need to know which is the best way to do this. Ive had these fish for some years and really dont want them to get over stressed and/or injured. Also are there any tips on keeping the water warm or oxygenated for long enough to get them over here.
Last question!!!!!!!!!!!! will they all go in together or will they need to be transported seperately?
I have 1 ghost knife fish (which is my pride and joy!!!!!)
1 Bristlenose plec
1 cory
1 silver dollar
3 gouramis
1 glassfish
couple of little neons and a danio (which is as old as the hills and has one eye! but still going)
couple of barbs
thats it i think!!
I'd be most greatful for any help cos just the thought of it is making me anxious!!!!!!!!
cheers!
An hour and a half is not a long period of time. You may want to go to your lfs and ask for some polystyrene boxes this will keep most of the heat in.
Get the largest fish bags u can possibly get. large quantities of water take longer to cool down. You may wish to fill each bag 1/3 with water and 2/3 of air. For your bottom dwelling fish you will need to double bag especially those cories. As they have spines which can easily puncture the bags. To be on the safe side place some news paper between the 2 bags this stops almost all the spines from most catfish.
Or you could use buckets with water tight fitting lids.
Hope this helps Jonny

Moving the tank is by far the most stressful part of moving house. I know cos did it 6 months ago and moved 200 miles!

I actually bought a second hand tank at a boot sale (only cost me £10) and just set it up on the floor at my old house about a week before I moved. I transferred all the fish, half the gravel, half the plants, rocks etc into this tank. I then moved my "good" tank, stand and the rest of the gravel etc to my new house and set it up using as much water from the "old" tank as possible. It didn't have a filter but I did have an old heater I kept for emergencies. Then when it came time, I only had to move the fish and filter which was much less stressful than having to wait to set the tank up from scratch and get the temperature up before transferring the fish in.

As for moving them, I got polystyrene boxes with lids from my fish shop, lined them with plastic and put in just enough water to cover the large fish. I'm pleased to say I didn't lose anything in the move except a few years off my life through stress!

Good luck!

Moving the tank is by far the most stressful part of moving house. I know cos did it 6 months ago and moved 200 miles!

I actually bought a second hand tank at a boot sale (only cost me £10) and just set it up on the floor at my old house about a week before I moved. I transferred all the fish, half the gravel, half the plants, rocks etc into this tank. I then moved my "good" tank, stand and the rest of the gravel etc to my new house and set it up using as much water from the "old" tank as possible. It didn't have a filter but I did have an old heater I kept for emergencies. Then when it came time, I only had to move the fish and filter which was much less stressful than having to wait to set the tank up from scratch and get the temperature up before transferring the fish in.

As for moving them, I got polystyrene boxes with lids from my fish shop, lined them with plastic and put in just enough water to cover the large fish. I'm pleased to say I didn't lose anything in the move except a few years off my life through stress!

Good luck!

I have a new aquarium cycling at the mo for my fish to move into, so i havent got the stress of moving my old tank although i will take alot of water from it to put into this one.
looks like i'll have to go on the scrounge for some polystyrene boxes!!!
thanks for your help!

A couple of pointers to reducing the stress (for the fish I mean, you're on your own personally speaking ;))

1. Make sure the fish can't see out at any time (i.e. don't be carrying them out to the car in clear bags).
2. It is a hell of a lot easier (and less stressful) to catch fish when they are sleepy, so switch the lights off at least an hour before you catch them, and try to keep light levels as low as possible whilst netting them.
3. For big fish like the knife, you might find it's easiest to roll down the bag, put it in the water on it's side (although it'll try to float to start with), and herd the fish in (i.e. not netting it/getting it out of the water at all).
4. Have loads and loads of towels (like the house's whole stock) handy. They can pad the insides of bins and baskets and make them very effective insulated carrying cases, as well as being handy for keeping them as dark as possible.
5. Species bag your fish. If you only have one of a particular type, then bag it on it's own.

IMHO polystyrene boxes are a waste of time for anything other than small fish. A decent sized bag inside a towel lined bin/bucket/basket is much easier. On the subject of bags, go to your LFS and buy more than you need, you really don't want to be running out of bags half way because a couple are split or you've miscounted.

Ps. If you don't already, use 2 nets to catch them, it's far easier than using 1.

Pps. It's really easy to not realise how much water you're taking as you net your fish. Switch the heater off before you start, because if the level drops too low, POP.

Ppps. You don't need to be cycling the new tank if you're taking the same filter with you- just make sure it's warm when you get there if at all possible.

Here is a photo diary of my most recent tank move, hopefully it gives you a few pointers.

A couple of pointers to reducing the stress (for the fish I mean, you're on your own personally speaking ;))

1. Make sure the fish can't see out at any time (i.e. don't be carrying them out to the car in clear bags).
2. It is a hell of a lot easier (and less stressful) to catch fish when they are sleepy, so switch the lights off at least an hour before you catch them, and try to keep light levels as low as possible whilst netting them.
3. For big fish like the knife, you might find it's easiest to roll down the bag, put it in the water on it's side (although it'll try to float to start with), and herd the fish in (i.e. not netting it/getting it out of the water at all).
4. Have loads and loads of towels (like the house's whole stock) handy. They can pad the insides of bins and baskets and make them very effective insulated carrying cases, as well as being handy for keeping them as dark as possible.
5. Species bag your fish. If you only have one of a particular type, then bag it on it's own.

IMHO polystyrene boxes are a waste of time for anything other than small fish. A decent sized bag inside a towel lined bin/bucket/basket is much easier. On the subject of bags, go to your LFS and buy more than you need, you really don't want to be running out of bags half way because a couple are split or you've miscounted.

Ps. If you don't already, use 2 nets to catch them, it's far easier than using 1.

Pps. It's really easy to not realise how much water you're taking as you net your fish. Switch the heater off before you start, because if the level drops too low, POP.

Ppps. You don't need to be cycling the new tank if you're taking the same filter with you- just make sure it's warm when you get there if at all possible.

Here is a photo diary of my most recent tank move, hopefully it gives you a few pointers.

wow cheers for all that advice thats great, given me loads of options. my new tank has an inbuilt filter in the lid so im cycling for a few weeks anyhow, i'll take my old one for a spare as it wasnt great anyway.
gonna have a look at yer pics now!

yea im moving in the near future about 150 miles and i do know that my 60 gallon will be the very last thing out of my apartment, if its warm out u could buy like those plastic tubs and move the fish with those but i am not looking forward to the day when it comes if i were u i would get a friend who is fish crazy to and have them help u depending on the size of the tank an extra pair of hands that know whats going on would help out alot

haha wish i knew someone else who was fish crazy!!
even my boyfriend rolls his eyes when i start on about fish........................!!!!!!!

We have tried it putting in a plastic with water and a bit of oxygen. It works out for a minimum time only because the fish will get exhausted.
It would be best putting it in a glass bowl plus your two hands holding it.
___

When I moved my fish I filled a large plastic cooler half full with water from the tank and moved the fish into that for the trip (about 75 miles and a two hour drive). The fish liked it fine, plus there was plenty of air in the cooler for them for two hours. If you're worried about there not being enough water for the fish, you could put them in individual bags with some oxygen and then put those in the cooler. A cooler has better isulation than styrfoam boxes, but styrfoam is cheaper if you don't already have a cooler. Good luck!

any pointers on moving large amounts of fish..and large fish for that matter? i have to move 200+ fish (and red claw crayfish x3 (plus their 400+babies), 2 large turtles and a small turtle, numerous frogs snails and marbled crays, oscars, large 40cm pleco and about 50 cherry shrimp???

will never be able to afford bags for all that! and only have a hand full of water tight buckets. most inhabitants have to be moved the same day (unfortunatly) as their tanks so its gonna be very hard work :(

Most reactions

Back