Whats Going On With His Fins?

By the black look at the end of his fins, I would say fin rot. If he was a tail biter, I imagine you would see fresh "holes" in his fins, and even probably catch him in the act.
If the previous owner was happy to flush him, I imagine he or she probably didn't bother changing the water regularly or keeping the tank clean. Coupled with the stress of moving and acclimating to a new tank, it could have weakened his immune system and brought on this case of fin rot.

If I remember right, I've read of people treating finrot with both Melafix and Primafix at the same time, although I could be mistaken.
Remember to keep his water primo clean (particularly since it's not cycled), test parameters daily or twice daily, and I'm sure you can nip this in the bud.
Kudos to you for rescuing the poor fish!

By the black look at the end of his fins, I would say fin rot. If he was a tail biter, I imagine you would see fresh "holes" in his fins, and even probably catch him in the act.
If the previous owner was happy to flush him, I imagine he or she probably didn't bother changing the water regularly or keeping the tank clean. Coupled with the stress of moving and acclimating to a new tank, it could have weakened his immune system and brought on this case of fin rot.

If I remember right, I've read of people treating finrot with both Melafix and Primafix at the same time, although I could be mistaken.
Remember to keep his water primo clean (particularly since it's not cycled), test parameters daily or twice daily, and I'm sure you can nip this in the bud.
Kudos to you for rescuing the poor fish!

the shape of the tail didn't even spring to mind, suppose i should think more before i type, anyway hope he gets betta soon :good:

the shape of the tail didn't even spring to mind, suppose i should think more before i type, anyway hope he gets betta soon :good:

Nothing wrong with brainstorming. Tail biting is so rarely considered too. I didn't think it was a bad suggestion. ;)

Most reactions

Back