Whats Everyone Use For A Light?

tehauthority

Reaction score
My light on my tank maybe its just me doesn't appear to make the tank very "stunning" I'll post pics in this thread in a little bit. But I'm just curious I have a 29g, and I was just wondering if I should replace my hood light. Links would help.

My light on my tank maybe its just me doesn't appear to make the tank very "stunning" I'll post pics in this thread in a little bit. But I'm just curious I have a 29g, and I was just wondering if I should replace my hood light. Links would help.

i HAVE the same problem with my 15gal's only problem is that on one i cant take the hoof off :(

Do you have a planted tank? What do you want the light for? If it is just to brighten up the tank, any shop light or strip light will do the trick. If it is for a planted aquarium, many of these will do wonders for you tank. Any of the T5 fixtures will probably be your best bet for a planted tank.

Ryan

Do you have a planted tank? What do you want the light for? If it is just to brighten up the tank, any shop light or strip light will do the trick. If it is for a planted aquarium, many of these will do wonders for you tank. Any of the T5 fixtures will probably be your best bet for a planted tank.

Ryan

it is for plants on a 50cm long tank and a 51 cm long i think, I want a two strip lighting unit one blue bulb and one white :p my bulbs are like 15w atm and only one for each aquarium

this is my 28 gal with a Arcadia 60cm Freshwater With T8 Lamps 2x15w

Tank.jpg

The blue bulbs are actinic bulbs. I would not recommend them for freshwater aquariums as they don't do much in the way of growing plants. I don't think they look very nice in fresh aquariums either.

A satellite compact, any old T8 dual strip light, or a T5 fixture should suit you well. T5s are the best imo for a freshwater planted tank.

Ryan

I have standard tank bulbs but I partially obscure the front light to add more depth.

On my Hagen tank (with the light built into the hood) I put parcel tape over the front section of the hood to dim the front of the tank, this adds depth and brings out the fishes' colours.

On my Jewel tank (with the lights hanging from the hood and reflectors) I turned the front reflectors upwards to face the roof of the tank, this also added depth and showed off the colours of my fish.

Here are some photos I took to show you;

Jewel Aquarium;
lighting1bt9.jpg

Hagen Aquarium;
lighting2ug0.jpg

In my regular tanks, I just use regular lights. Nothing spectacular. In my panted tank, where I want major plants to grow, I'm using a plant bulb. It adds ALOT more light to the tank.

i just have standard light that came with the hood when i bought it ,,,, it isnt bad maybe its just nasty looking because my tank is semi-cloudy

For the added bright factor, I used double t5 strips. If you are OK with the algae in a small tank or have a deep enough tank, the t5s are great!

Most reactions

Back