• 30g-39g

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-49g

• 50 or over !!!

• Total voters
Interesting question, akhtar :nod:

Being a labrynth fish, like a betta, you might think they can live in little tanks, too. I don't think that's a good idea. :X

A gourami is a substantial size fish; it's not all tail. And while they frequently claim a small space at the top of a tank, they do roam a bit and are capable of swimming quite fast for small periods of time.

Therefore, I think the need a much larger tank than the bettas do. I think the one inch per gallon rule - at a minimum - should be used. I would recommend that no more than 2 be kept in a 10 gallon tank, with very few other fish.

depends on the gourami, they vary in size greatly, i have two pearls and really wouldn't want to put them in less than a twenty gallon,[they are in a 30 gall at the mo]they need room to swim freely... pebbles

I think 5 gallons and up should be pretty good. Unless he is the only one in the tank then you shouldn't go under 3 and that is still taking a risk sorta. But if you have like a 3 gallon I think a dwarf honey gourami may be ok in there by himself because they don't get to big.

A minimum of around 10 U.S. gallons is usually recommeded for the smaller Gouramis like Dwarf and Honey. Pearl Gouramis need around 30 gallons, Blue (or 3 Spot) Gouramis even more than that.

if ouy are talking about the little gourami called the gourami than 5-10 gallons would be sufficent but if you are talking about the whole species it could range from 100g or more for the 20 inch plus gaint gouramis to a 5g for a honey gourami

I wouldn't dream of keeping any gourami in a tank less than 10 gallons.. and that's only for a honey or a dwarf. I think the medium sized gouramis like moonlights and pearls should have something close to 30 gallons. Opalines and other varieties of blue gouramis need a 33 or bigger. The larger gouramis like kissing gouramis should be in at least a 55. Just my opinion.

I agree with AquaNut, except I wouldn't put a blue (or gold or opaline) gourami in anything smaller than 40 gal. For two blue gouramis it'd have to be around 80 gal in my opinion. I've had a couple of them and they can be very nasty towards each other indeed.

Like already said...it all depends on the type of gourami, some need huge tanks, others not so huge. ;)

So you would not recommend that 4 Blue and Pearls be put together in the same 60 gallon hex tank?
That is the size I have and have plans on that many at some point.
Deb

Let's not get too carried away here! :D Before long someone will be saying to put one gourami in the Atlantic and put the other in the Pacific. :lol:

A gourami is not a very small fish, and while it is not likely to be the most active fish in anyone's tank, it does need some space to swim. A full grown 4"or 5" gourami can do quite well in a 10 gallon tank. In fact, I would not think twice before putting 2 females in a 10 gallon tank.

The problem with keeping multiple gouramis in a tank is their habit of being territorial. This has more to do with surface area than total tank size. They are labyrinth fish and will claim their territory at the top of the tank, never someplace in the middle or on the bottom. A long low tank will therefore be able to accommodate more gouramis than a high narrow one. :)

Most reactions

Back