What's a good flake diet?

Auratus

Why am I browsing a fish forum at 2am?
Reaction score
I've got Jewels and firemouths so I'm looking for a good flake food that will take care of them both... if that's possible.

I was thinking maybe this? LINK

Any suggestions are helpful. Pellets aren't an option because the FMs are too timid to come out and snatch stuff from the surface.

Jewels and firemouths have similar diets - any flake or pellet good for an omnivore is good for both. New Life Spectrum is getting incredible results from people.

ah, your on that bandwagon now freddyk

I'm planning on picking up some NLS from redeer in late june to try, though I haven't talked to him recently

freddyk said:
Jewels and firemouths have similar diets - any flake or pellet good for an omnivore is good for both. New Life Spectrum is getting incredible results from people.
Yes very similar , most foods will be excepted

What's you're point there Mr. V. And where did I say it was the best... I don't see it anywhere. :rolleyes:

The point was that you wrote "incredible results from people."

The adverts and claims from the manufacturer made me wonder what are the scientific proofs that they can make a conclusion that their food is the best on the market. Why does their food be better than Tetras, Seras, Hikaris, OSIs, Tropicals...? Where are facts??

Most of these "increadible results"and testimonials are only visible changes: more colour and good appetite. More colour means only more substances that increases colourness - e.g. carotenoids, spirulina etc...

Also there are many claims which are without any scientific proof: First of all nutrition. They claims that herbivores and carnivores can be fed with same nutrition. No evidence of examination, autopsies that this claim is true. Only "experiences" and user testimonials. Second, an open food jar can be used even after three years!! Evidence: "after 3 years and longer, and the fish still eat it with gusto and thrive." But where is facts and studies about possible traces aflatoxin, increased microbes growth and so on?

The point were in a sentence "incredible results". Do you think that better colours and good appetite is enough to be sure that herbivores can eat the same food as carnivores?

There are so much words but I haven't see any scientific proofs for claims I have seen. Their advertisements and presentation of fish nutrition are almost opposite to every scientific books have been written and what our students learn at universities nowadays..

If you read the whole debate, you probably saw that they didn't give any single references none at all, how they have studied their food quality and what was the result.

For example, if I keep any fish food jar open at least 3 years in a dry place, Im sure that if I put that food into the tank, fish will eat that food. But where are researches about growing microbes - even traces of toxic aflatoxin which is very general toxic in food. And for fish, very toxic! The answer "fish will eat it" isn't any proof at all of the quality and safe. Come on! What kind of proof was that??

And of course, every questions about possible bloat in herbivores after feeding excusively by NLS are totally wrong. They claim that it is impossible that their food causes dropsy/bloat or any other inflammation in organs, and when you fish has become sick ("dropsy") the reason is, of course, in you - not their product.

I personally would be careful about the food I give my herbivores. They can't digest unsuitable food although one claim was: " the 'wild' fish you are importing, have already adapted to a non wild fish meal based food".

It would be remarkable changes in their bodyfunction. I would buy a fly-ticket at once, if somebody has evidence to show that herbivores can diggest the same food as carnivores - and the only reason would be that, that they are not in wild anymore :lol:

So, what Im saying is that I would also like to see these "incredible changes" in internal organs too, not only visible changes like more colours.

The food may be as good as they claims, but they are not willing to give any scientific proofs for that claim and when you ask about it from them, they will ban you away from their forum if you don't believe everything they say. It's questinable, real questionable. Don't they have any evidence to support their claims or why they need to ban away a person, who is interested in knowing some facts for these claims. Really suspicious! Probably the sentence what they said is true then: "The more I know, the more I know I don't know!" For me, it sounds like it.

I really don't want to start a debate about NLS - my questions for them was only one side of view. Their answers were... hmm... their answers. They did what they thought would be best for them to protect their fame, but for me it is quite suspicious to ban a person, who wants to know little more about their claims they gave. If you have no answers, just ban the person? :rofl:

So, read the labels of food, think about what your fish will eat in nature (what kind of food their digestive system can digest best) and feed your fish as natural food as possible. If you think that NLS is for that, then you buy it. I let the facts and proofs to be more significant. At least banning from manufacturer's forum doesn't give a positive image of the company. If they don't have answer, then it would be better to say, that they don't know than banning a person. It only made me thinking about how reliable manufacturer this company is and especially how much studies they have done about the safe to use this "increadible food".

The point were in a sentence "incredible results". Do you think that better colours and good appetite is enough to be sure that herbivores can eat the same food as carnivores?
Absolutely - I wouldn't go with just one food for any of my fish, but especially not herbivores - herbivores should get plenty of plant matter no matter what you feed them. New life claims a lot of things, and of course I'm skeptical about a lot of it, but in the end it is getting very good results from actual fish keepers, which is the main point, right? If somebody is going to feed all of their fish one food, let it be one that gets good results. I've actually heard the statement that 'diet doesn't matter anymore because NLS is good for all fish. B.S.

Most reactions

Back