What Was The Biggest Number Of Fry You Have Ever Gotten?

1-100?

• 1-20

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 21-40

• 41-60

• 61-80

• 81-100

• Total voters
Well, 0 at the moment, but I've got 2 female guppies in breeding traps that will have about 25 & 10 probably. Also, another 4 pregnant with I should guess between 10 - 15 fry each. Hopefully some of the fry will be from my rainbow snakeskin male or my guppy with red fins/tail, black back half and rainbow front. Am hoping the fr will come this week and go straight into my nursery tank [I have two 10 gallon tanks, 1 with the 6 female & 2 males in and another identical 10 gallon nursery tank.]

Good luck all fish breeders/people with pregnant fish :good: :good:
Awesome! Good for you tropic_john! :good:

Total fish disaster! The mother died last night, and today every single fry died. Nooooooooooo! :-( :byebye: :rip: :no: :sad: :-( :-( :( :eek:

Well first time female guppy dropped I only got one to keep (think I got there too late and others were eaten by other fish). She just dropped again last night except this time I put her in my fry tank so I got about 25 30 of them in there currently along with the 1st one she had.

I just got my first fry as well and I got 9, but I'm letting nature ake its course and 1 died by getting sucked into the filter and I know some got eaten but I have 4 left for sure still!

Well, my first female guppy gave birth last week to about 24 baby fry. You can read about my breeding prpgram in my Guppy breeding thread. Usually hot topic in the livebearers section [common]

I had 60+ from a Black Molly breed to a Sail-fin Molly. Most of them came out black but some had black bodies and orange fins.

Most of the common livebearers will deliver over 30 fry at a single drop. The ones with smaller fry like swordtails will drop many times that. In order to find any fry you need to set up the right conditions. In a molly it is easy, you isolate the female with some cover in the tank and end with at least 30. With swordtails it is tougher, you again isolate the female but the tank she goes into must be so stuffed with cover she has trouble swimming very far. The swordtail is a much bigger fry eater, on average, than a guppy or a molly. A guppy is in between, she will eat fry but good cover will give you lots of fry. Another advantage to a guppy is that she is small enough to actually use a commercial breeding trap which can lead to even better fry survival.
If you take no effort to save fry, you can end up like my community tank. I have fou8nd exactly one surviving platy fry in that tank in the last year although when I move fish to a drop tank I often get well over 30 fry from them. I am sure they produce just as many in the larger tank but 1 in a year is terrible for a survival rate.

Most of the common livebearers will deliver over 30 fry at a single drop. The ones with smaller fry like swordtails will drop many times that. In order to find any fry you need to set up the right conditions. In a molly it is easy, you isolate the female with some cover in the tank and end with at least 30. With swordtails it is tougher, you again isolate the female but the tank she goes into must be so stuffed with cover she has trouble swimming very far. The swordtail is a much bigger fry eater, on average, than a guppy or a molly. A guppy is in between, she will eat fry but good cover will give you lots of fry. Another advantage to a guppy is that she is small enough to actually use a commercial breeding trap which can lead to even better fry survival.
If you take no effort to save fry, you can end up like my community tank. I have fou8nd exactly one surviving platy fry in that tank in the last year although when I move fish to a drop tank I often get well over 30 fry from them. I am sure they produce just as many in the larger tank but 1 in a year is terrible for a survival rate.
Thanks for the info. Who said they had one fry survive in a year? I have a terrible survival rate, but mine's not THAT terrible... I get at a minimum of 10 or more fry that survive till adults yearly. Which is weird, because I know I DID have a disease in my tank, but my fry set-ups are great! I even have seperated females before, and I still don't get fry from them.

That was probably because I HAD an internal parasite in my tank though.
It's weird though, because I buy a fish, she has a whole bunch of fry, but despite my half full 10 gallon set-up, (with no gravel and java moss and fern) almost none of the fry survive. Also, the female never drops again.
My females used to have tons of fry, and they'd drop monthly, but now they rarely ever drop, only once in a blue moon.

I find it so weird - once I start putting more effort into my fish, they start doing bad, but when I didn't do anything for them at all, they did great.
Weird...

They are dropping all the time Fry Forever. That was my point. Your zero rate is even worse than my one in a year.

My all endler tank has hundreds of survivors every year. Each of my single species goodeid tanks has dozens of survivors each year. The Heterandria formosa produce nicely too. Even the female molly, that never has a survivor in the community tank, does this when she is separated and the fry do not need to deal with other predators.

MomNEm35_1024.jpg

It is only the community tank where I take no action that has low survival rates. The predation can make it so that you never see a single fry dropped. It was pure chance that even that one platy survived in the tank. She must have been a very resourceful fry.

They are dropping all the time Fry Forever. That was my point. Your zero rate is even worse than my one in a year.

My all endler tank has hundreds of survivors every year. Each of my single species goodeid tanks has dozens of survivors each year. The Heterandria formosa produce nicely too. Even the female molly, that never has a survivor in the community tank, does this when she is separated and the fry do not need to deal with other predators.

MomNEm35_1024.jpg

It is only the community tank where I take no action that has low survival rates. The predation can make it so that you never see a single fry dropped. It was pure chance that even that one platy survived in the tank. She must have been a very resourceful fry.
Yes, but I let her drop in a breeder net, and she had over 30 babies. My problem is disease. All fish at petstores and fish stores have major disease, and even if I quarantine them before putting them in my main tank, their insides always seem to be damaged from an internal parasite or something. And honestly, do they drop? They are always the same size in the morning, and if they do drop, I still find at least 5-10 in the main tank, because I have good coverage.

And my survival rate wasn't 0 a year! I get more than that, but it's still not as good as some people, like my friend! She gets like, 10 guppies a month, at least, and she literally lets the fry grow up with the adults. If she uses a breeder net, it's a cramped space that doesn't get any water flow, so it's filthy.

But as soon as I gave her 4 of my guppies, they bred like rabbits, and now she has over 40. But they never did that in my tank.

wow, I'm confused.

I have no idea what to suggest to you Fry Forever. My fish mostly just deliver fry in place unless they are in that terribly unfriendly community tank. Even my guppies leave me more fry in a month than I really have room for. As you say, there is no need to separate them if you don't want to save huge numbers because there will be several survivors every month in an all guppy tank.

I have no idea what to suggest to you Fry Forever. My fish mostly just deliver fry in place unless they are in that terribly unfriendly community tank. Even my guppies leave me more fry in a month than I really have room for. As you say, there is no need to separate them if you don't want to save huge numbers because there will be several survivors every month in an all guppy tank.

Okay, I'm sorry. I just get frustrated when this stuff happens, and I get confused easily. I didn't mean to be rude to you, I was just trying to explain what was going on. Thanks for all the help. I hope I get more fry soon... :/

I really do wish I could help but I have no idea why you are having trouble getting your fish to drop fry. Do you have any predators besides the livebearers in your tanks? Maybe they are the reason you never see any fry.

I really do wish I could help but I have no idea why you are having trouble getting your fish to drop fry. Do you have any predators besides the livebearers in your tanks? Maybe they are the reason you never see any fry.
No, no predators. The worst I have is swordtails, but even when I didn't have them, I would never find fry.
I will try to upload some pics, but the site I use to upload is down right now.

I hope I can get this figured out.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Most reactions

Back