What to put in a 2.5 gallon tank

White Whale

Granola bar gone bad....
Reaction score
No heater, but it will be filtered by a Penn Plax mini-filter. It used to be a 3-way betta tank. Any ideas?

canyon_rayne said:
Danios, white cloud minnows or guppies.. :D
How many in total? You mean make it a species tank?

Just the betta ,everything else poops big time, there's no way the tank could support the waste

wuvmybetta said:
Just the betta ,everything else poops big time, there's no way the tank could support the waste
Even just a threesome of tiny neons?

Id say at the most two more small fish, neons need warmer warter so go with white clouds imo

TetraMon said:
Id say at the most two more small fish, neons need warmer warter so go with white clouds imo
So you're saying 4 to 5 white clouds?

Not trying to be mean, but I can't think of any (non-betta, at least -- you betta people can discuss that one :)) fish that should be put in that small a tank with no heater.

Shrimp, maybe? I don't know much about them.

:D How about a couple of African Dwarf frogs? They do very well in a species tank, and they're a lot of fun.

Either dwarf frogs, as Julie said, or white clouds. Many people will probably disagree with me on this one, but I've known several people who have kept 3-4 white clouds in a 3 gallon. They are coldwater fish but can adapt to higher temperatures, so they'll do fine without a heater. Of course they would be "happier" in a bigger tank, but IMO they are your best bet if you don't want frogs or bettas.

One word of warning: don't get an ADW and white clouds. My friend's white clouds killed her ADF.

Mind you that the temp is a constant 75F.
ADFs sounds interesting.
White Clouds, too.
I wish I could get my hands on ANY ghost shrimp.
I guess it needs creativeness in such a limited space.

I recently moved a strawberry tetra to my daughter's 2.5-gallon tank with her common betta, and they seem to be doing fine. Her room is pretty warm and we run the incandescent light enough each day to keep the temperature about 76F without a heater.

I also bought her an Otto to keep the algae at bay, but he's a voracious eater so it helps to drop in chunks of a sinking algae wafer a couple of times each week.

Woody said:
I recently moved a strawberry tetra to my daughter's 2.5-gallon tank with her common betta, and they seem to be doing fine. Her room is pretty warm and we run the incandescent light enough each day to keep the temperature about 76F without a heater.

I also bought her an Otto to keep the algae at bay, but he's a voracious eater so it helps to drop in chunks of a sinking algae wafer a couple of times each week.
Interesting! How large does a strawberry tetra grow? And don't otos grow large?

Itty Bitty Betta said:
Woody said:

Interesting! How large does a strawberry tetra grow? And don't otos grow large?
I believe the tetra is mature, and it's less than two inches long. It was an impulse purchase because my daughter liked it, so I bought a couple of them for a larger tank last fall. I found out later where "strawberry" tetras come from (they're dyed) so I won't be buying more.

I don't know how large the otto will get. I'm really not familiar with them, but it seemed like a good solution for the algae because I knew the tank was too small for a pleco. I might have to move the otto as he grows. Anyone else know the maximum size for an otto?

Most reactions

Back