What To Do ?

Kizz

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi guy's in need of some advise , i awoke this morning to discover that my filter had decided to spew it's contents back into the aquarium overnight , i've woke up this morning to everything dead except from the plec .Everything is cleaned and scrubbed and sorted but i'm now at a loose end at what to do with the tank , what do i stock with ? 

It seems like i've went round in massive circles from , community to cichlid's to marine to coldwater back to community tropical's.Now i've got the opportunity to basically start from scratch and i'm stumped at what to restock with  . So i thought i'd  hear what you's would stock it with? it's a 330litre tank dimensions of 48"L x15"W x 28"H 

Thanks
tongue2.gif

First of all, I think you should work out what on earth happened to kill your current fish.

I don't understand what you mean by the 'filter had decided to spew it's contents back into the aquarium'. What actually came out? What kind of filter is it? How exactly have you cleaned everything? You might have lost all your filter bacteria, if you've overcleaned it :/

Do you have any test kits available to test the water for ammonia/nitrite?

Will the plec be staying in this tank? If you pop a pic of it up, someone will be able to ID it for you:)

Well it backed up basically , we had a small power cut through the night , I only know this due to my alarm not going off this morning and i'm assuming with the power going on and off that's what's caused the filter to back up into the tank . I bought the filter for allpond solutions a little over a year ago when i switched back from marine never had any problem's at all with it . No test kit to hand at present partner has them at his but will get back tonight to keep eye on param's for the plec .

To clean it i turned everything off disconnected my filter took out bucket of water from tank (with minimal filter gunk in it) Cleaned all pad's and media in that cleaned and rinsed out filter basket and canister then done as much of a water change as i could leaving enough water in the tank for the plec .Filled it all back up and connected everything and all running smoothly . All the fish were fine ate well last night no obvious signs of ill health , when i fished them out this morning they had what looked like septicemia small spidery like veins over body and fin's which was i'm assuming was due to water quality from filter 

And with the plec i'm not sure , i know my local LFS would take him if needed and here's a pic not long after i got him and he's not much bigger than that after about 6 months of having him tho his fin's look a hell of a lot better ! 

Thanks
:D

You really need to test your water to know whats going on - what are your stats? If you dont have a testing kit get one asap - (anyone who keeps fish needs it anyway or how do you know what needs fixing if problems arise?). In the meantime big daily water changes until you know your stats are good.

Most reactions

Back