What To Do?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lisa2701

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I currently have a 5g tank which I had used as a quarantine tank for a Betta. I bought some live plants for the betta and with them obviously came what appears to be a tadpole snail. The betta has since moved to another community tank about 6 weeks ago ish (along with his plants) and both have settled into the new tank with no signs of snails, so obviously it was just the one that came on the plants. Thing is the snail has grown from not noticeable to about 1-1.5cm ish in the time I since buying the plant. As sad as this sounds I've grown fond of the little guy and wouldn't wanna harm him in anyway but I now have about 23 clutches of eggs on the glass of the tank (the tank is pretty bare, has no plants and only an ornamental bridge and sand in it. these clutches are now starting to hatch and I can see lots of really tiny snails now but every day there seems to be another clutch or so and I am all of a sudden aware how quickly it could get out of control. I haven't been feeding the snail, and obviously with no fish in the tank theres no food going in the tank so I am surprised it still seems quite happy. I really don't want to kill any snails, but what on earth am I going to do with them? I was tempted to get a puffer fish (a fish I really like and wanted anyway)for the 5g and as bad as this sounds maybe I could move the snails to a tiny wee tank I have (3g) which doesn't get used and buy a puffer and then I'd have a food source for the puffer assuming they are suitable. Or should could I (without upsetting anything) release them in a local pond or something? Just looking for suggestions on what to do with them - other than squash them which I don't want to do. :crazy:

I don't know what you should do with them, but I know one thing. DO NOT RELEASE THEM INTO A LAKE OR POND. Snails have ruined eco-systems in lake and ponds.

Yeah that is the reason I haven't released them already, which is why I thought i'd ask on here what if any damage it could do. If I am honest I can't think of much damage a snail could do (hence I thought it may be an option) but I understand that releasing animals in such a way can cause harm so I won't.
:good:

Take the tank apart, wash everything vigorously, and put it back together.

Take the tank apart, wash everything vigorously, and put it back together.

I say there's no other option than to kill the snails.. snails are pests.. I has one tank that has a snail issue.. I just pop them between my fingers and let the fish eat the remains..

Been doing this for aboot two months now every time I see a snail.. I think I has them under control..

I can think of two choices, other than just killing them.

Assassin snail, or dwarf puffer. If you, or someone you know has one of these, you can offer them some free food :)

Most reactions

Back