What the fuplie can I do about these?

LostBear

Fish Addict
Reaction score

I've had to post a youtube thingy because I can't do photos, but these little horrors have appeared in my "delinquent snail bowl" (I have an unheated bowl that I tip extra "stowaway" snails into as they appear in the tank, just to keep the numbers down. I squash the tiny ones, but anything bigger goes in there because :S. . .:sick:

Anyway - I'd been wondering what had happened to all the snails - there should have been about 30,000 in there by now and there are only three (not complaining - just curious) when what looked like an underwater woodlouse shot across my field of vision. There are at least two of them. They are dis-GUSTING!

I googled "freshwater crustaceans/ isopods" and this the above came up. This is what they are. It appears that they are harmless and are purely scavengers.

I don't care.

They make my skin crawl.

I can only think that they hitch-hiked in on plants. The snailarium has been up and running for about 8 months, though I must admit I don't check it very often - it is mostly a conscience-salver for me as I don't want karma to hit me too hard next time around. There don't appear to be any in my tank - but would I know? They are very fast and dart about, and they bury themselves under the gravel. I've moved the bowl outside (in case they can fly :lol:) and my whole instinct is to invest in a flamethrower.

However I'm wondering why they aren't in the main tank. Are they coldwater only - is it too warm for them (in which case, Thank you, Jesus!). Could they just be hiding? It's only a small, two-foot tank and we spend a lot of time watching what goes on in it (especially the shrimps, which are a comical bunch) so I would have thought we would have seen at least some sign of them. Could the fish be eating them as they are born? Is seems that some people actually pay for them, both as fish food and as tank scavengers. To me they are only slightly less repulsive than cockroaches and I can't imagine why anyone in their right mind would want them.

The plants in the snailarium are a few broken off pieces from those in the main tank - they don't have anything different, except there is a lot of that thick green blanket algae in the snail thing. The main tank is kept neat and clean by three nerites and a busy little troupe of armano shrimp.

just gammaris/ isopods. nothing to worry about and won't harm adult fish. they eat dead plants and fish food, or dead fish. most big fish will eat them.

just gammaris/ isopods. nothing to worry about and won't harm adult fish. they eat dead plants and fish food, or dead fish. most big fish will eat them.
Thanks, Colin. I'm just worried that if there are any in there they will breed, and breed, and breed, and . . .

I only have little fishies . . .

I think they're kinda cool, sort of like roaches for your fish tank!
You want them?

They're yours!

Watch out for a FedEx driver holding out a box at arms length and trying not to scream!

They really are repulsive. About half an inch long, but with more legs, antennae and segments than any creature NOT from the 9th Circle of Hell has a right to.

You want them?

They're yours!

Watch out for a FedEx driver holding out a box at arms length and trying not to scream!

They really are repulsive. About half an inch long, but with more legs, antennae and segments than any creature NOT from the 9th Circle of Hell has a right to.
SURE!...my fish would love them!...wonder what overnight shipping from the UK to Texas would cost? :p

Man, that's a big pup foot in your avatar!

Most reactions

Back