What size tank???

Kryten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am new to keeping tropical fish (so far as I am saving up for my first tank as we speak). What size, in litres would be a good starter tank. I want to keep (probably) 6 neon tetras, 2 or three pygmy cory (or albino cory) catfishes and 6 lemon tetras. Would 30 litres be enough or will I need bigger

Also, does everyone recommend undergravel filters, as the books I have seem a bit unsure

Any advice you have would be appreciated

The bigger the better. I would suggest a bigger tank. Bigger tanks are easier to care for, and allow more room for newbie errors. Also gives more options on what to put in your tank.

I would get a biowheel mini > a undergravel filter.

The biggest one you can afford - small tanks are more difficult to maintain and you need to do water changes more often. And, once you've been bitten by the fish bug, you'll want bigger and better ones :p

My next question is how do the undergravel filters work exactly? As they are under the gravel, this makes cleaning them impossible? I'm confused. I have read books that mention them but are not very descriptive

Personally I don't like undergravel filters - especially if you want a planted tank. Have you thought of getting a different type of filter?

I read they aren't good for plants. If I get a different type of filter, I guess that the cory's I want to get will clear the excess food from the bottom. What sort of filter will be best?

I know I ask many questions but I want to get this right as best as possible

Thanks

The filter you get depends on the size of your tank - the bigger the tank the more powerful the filter. I've heard that Fluval filters are very good. Personally I have Juwel tanks and they come with their own filter so I'm not that knowledgable about filters. Don't worry about asking questions, you can't ask too many and it's much better that you ask now before you set up everything than after and make loads of mistakes :) Ask away and there's sure to be someone that can advise you well.

Are the fish I mentioned at the beginning compatable together (6 neon tetras, 6 lemon tetras and 2 or 3 pygmy or albino cory's) and would you say the numbers are right for say a 60 litre tank?

The biggest tank you can buy seems to be best idea as mentioned above.
I recomend an undergravel filter.Basically its just a hollowed area under the gravel along with the connected air tube that will create suction drawing uneaten food and waste to the bottom of the tank were the bio filter(bacteria) will break the waste down quickly once established.In my 30gallon tank I have both undergravel and a whisper power filters.I have Tetra Neons,Guppies,Gouramis,Danios,Blackmoores,snail,and some shrimp and all is well.Only maintanance you will need to do is a once a month charcoal cartridge change and vacuum when doing water changes. :thumbs:

Hi Kryten the "vacuuming"that Smokey was speaking of is the use of a gravel cleaner to remove waste matter from the gravel bed, they are basicly a tube connected to a hose which syphons the water and waste out of the tank,most shops sell them for around £15 although you could make one out of a plastic drinks bottle and lenth of garden hose.As for under gravel filtration although it works fine its a real pain to maintain as any cleaning maintainance requires a full strip down of the tank, much better to go with an internal (or even better but more expensive external)cannister type filter.Dont wory about keeping corys with tetras they are totaly harmless to even tiny fish.

Thanks. Most books do seem to say that the undergravel filters are a pain to clean but that most aquarists say they hinder or damage plant growth.

Are there any small fish that are Algae eaters, that would again be compatable with the fish above (I know they are not to be used instead of a filter but it will help)

Most reactions

Back