What size tank???

Hi Kryten,
There are as many opinions about UG filters as there are species of fish!!!

While I don't recommend them often, I have used them in the past with much success!! They do need to maintained regularly. Over time, they will accumulate a heavy load of detritus (fish waste) under the gravel plates. This "gunk" needs to be removed or it can cause problems.

The best way to do this is to snake a gravel cleaning hose under the plate and remove the waste during a normal water change.

Some also say the use of a reverse flow powerhead can prevent this build up. You will also need a decent size air pump to power the UG filter or a powerhead.

IMO it would be best for you to steer clear of an UG filter for the simple fact it sounds as though you want to have a planted tank. UG filters are not recommended for use with plants!!

CM

i see that cm is lurking here! getting ready for the bash on the ugf's ( undergravel filters). personally i do not like them. especially with the cichlids they can be rendered totally useless. cichlids are digers and the plates of the ugf need to be covered at all times. otherwise you get a dead spot. the carbon change comes from the lift tubes. you can buy carbon cartridges that will fit over the ends of the lift tubes. carbon needs to be changed every three weeks. carbon that is older is inactive and can start to leach the toxins it has removed back into the tank. als the plates of the ugf's trap the waste under them. you can vaccuum under the plates through the lift tubes but what a pain! :crazy: with the amount that my king poopers produce i found that i was constantly trying to keep the levels of toxins down in the tank. finally broke down the tank and remved the ugf and have not had a problem with high levels since. a good filter is the magnum hot. it is a hang on tank (hot) style. has two ways to filter the water. one way uses a medium in the canister and the otehr is a micron filter that will polish the water. great for when you are having people over and want your water to look crystal clear!

size tank? swimming pools will not be large enough once you are bitten! heehee! larger is better though. can always add more fish!

maggie

Size matters then!!! I have very limited space in my house, so I want a smallish tank that I can put say 3 types of fish in, and keep real nice until I move in a couple of years (at this rate). Hopefully I will also build up enough knowledge to start a nice big tank then with few mishaps

Nope Maggie,

Been in the "peacekeeping" mode lately :) :) No bashing here lately.

Really though UG filters were good in there day and I do still know a few professional breeders who use them, but this is the exception and not the rule.

There are so many great filters on the market today that UG are just not necessary anymore!!

CM

To also help prevent buildup on the bottom of the tank with an undergravel filter use finer gravel the finer the gravel the better the filtration.As catfish crazy stated you can get under it and suck debres from under the bed with a tube or small vac.As for compatability with the Tetras and the Cory's this shouldnt be a problem here's a page I found on the cory's. http://www.members.shaw.ca/Critters/corydoras.htm .Tetras are extreamly hardy fish as long as you dont stress them out when placing them into the tank and they will live well in a wide range of PH and Temp as long as its constant meaning your water parameters stay constant with little change.When you get the new fish let them float in the bag for 20 mins then add some tank water to the dealers water.Then let the bag float another 10 mins.Once this is done just net them out of the bag and add them to aquarium make sure not to get the dealers water in your tank and you will have happy fish. :thumbs:

A good algea eater to keep with the type of fish you intend to buy would the Dwarf otocinclus.These only reach about 1and a half inches so you could keep a small group (say 4 to 6).Another plus is that they dont damage plants

My recommendations would be get the biggest tank you can afford minimimum 80 L. If you catch the fishkeeping bug :nod: , you will want to upgrade to a larger tank in no time. As the others have said, a larger tank is easier to maintain as it is more forgiving. As for filters, a good starter filter would be the Hagen AquaClear. It is an external filter that mounts on the back of the tank. Inexpensive and easy to maintain.

Most reactions

Back