What should I do?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

this guy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Although my sun coral is doing very well, it is becoming quite difficult to feed. I a only limiting my self to feed it one frozen tablet of brine shrimo. Andonly half the coral gets fed. Do they share the food. Also, many of the otger creatures in the tank are always taking the food.

Will not feeding it properly once in a while kill it :-(

THANKS

i dont know to much abouy sun corals but if i was you i would take it back to the shop and get something easy(ere) to look after, some people would agree some might not you will have to wait and see but dont leave it to long or its lots of money down the drain. (been there done that)

I don't know exactly what you are supposed to feed a sun coral, but I do know a solution to the other fish stealing its food. Feed all the fish on the opposite side of the tank something REALLY enticing (live brine shrimp, blood worms, etc.) while you are feeding the sun coral. This should distract them long enough for the coral to get a good amount of food. Also, make sure that the brine shrimp you are feeding the coral has vitamins and minerals in it. I highly recommend Hikari brand frozen brine shrimp! :nod:

3fsh is right. Frozen brine shrimp (live as well) is very poor nutritionally. I know a tank that had several fish starve to death even though they fed live brineshrimp daily.
If you do want to use brineshrimp as your main food then find one that had vitimins added. Frozen mysis and krill is a far better option.

And a whole block of brineshrimp is far too much for the coral. just get a few in a turkey baster and squirt them onto the heads. this should be enough.

Soaking the brine you feed in phytoplankton will help greatly. For feeding fish many as I do, soak them in a bit of Selcon for nutritional value.

Sun corals feed primarily at night. This is when you should see the polyps open the greatest. I would feed them a mixture of brine, phyto, and Cyclopeeze. A little goes a long ways also.

GL

Most reactions

Back