What should I do?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

P&BtheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 2 cherry barbs and I now know they are schooling fish. They live in a cycled 5 gallon though I do not think it's enough. One has a ripped fin and it hasn't been growing back and the same one appears to have bloat though I'm not sure. Should I rehome them? Would they be better off in the pet store? I just want to let them live with other fish. I'm trying to find solutions to treat the bloat, too. I don't think we'd be able to get another tank and cycle it.

The 'bloated' cherry barb looks like this: (I found this on the internet)
1618342383745.png

The image attached was showing a female with eggs but there's no males in the tank.
She's looked like that for quite a long time already.

Last edited:
5 gallons is too small. They would be better off if you were able to take them back to your LFS where they can have a bigger group. You could get some shrimp and snails or a betta for the 5 gallon tank once the barbs are gone!

5 gallons is too small. They would be better off if you were able to take them back to your LFS where they can have a bigger group. You could get some shrimp and snails or a betta for the 5 gallon tank once the barbs are gone!

Would Petco be okay? Also, how do I transport them?

You can transport them in a zip loc bag; put it in a cooler to keep the temperature the stable and avoid tragic accidents. They might be better off at Petco than in a 5 gallon tank. But if you take them back, perhaps someone with a bigger tank will purchase them.

For future reference, 5 gallon tanks are really only good for bettas, shrimp, snails, and (once you gain some experience and really know what you're doing with water quality) certain microrasboras.

If you are worried about a bag leaking, you could get one of those cheap styrofoam coolers

Most reactions

Back