What Should I Do

I think 'rescuing' bettas is an awful idea.

You ARE encouraging the shop to buy more in. Supply and demand. Whilever you're buying the shop keeping is going to re-stock. Long term you are making absolutely NO difference to the problem.

If you really want to help the fish long term then you have to not buy them, and you have to keep writing letters to your local council and RSPCA.
You need to be asking them to go to the shop and force the shop keeper to give the correct husbandry to those fish.

I totally agree with this too

It's pointless buying them. as the shop will juts buy more in to replace it

I also agree with whats being said here. MLFS was selling dyed parrots at one point so i wrote them an email saying that it was wrong and they were selling sick fish. I threatened to start posting signs about there location about these fish and their health problems. They replied and agreed that they would not be buying anymore of there parrots from that supplier.

If you want to do anything about the Fish don't buy them be a :ninja: and steal them to rescue them :ninja:.... Or write really really angry letters!!!
(I'm kidding btw i don't promote crime. )

Rock on, and Good luck.

I can understand what you are all pointer towards and putting across. But I think Im going to rescue the one really needed.

It's a silly, expensive and fruitless idea.

Eg. There is a village of people with no water supply. Do you just deliver one shipment of Bottled water because someone is ill.
Or knowing more people will be ill anyways in the long run, do you build a well so the problem has been solved?

Oh wait, just wanted to point out I see your heart is in the right place. But the theory is just wrong.

Well everyone is going to have a different view on the matter. I have had some people say they would be intrested in the bettas and that to go for the "rescue" idea. While I have had people saying no (like yourself) and its a silly idea to start with as its a never ending cycle. I will only be buying from the worst shop and they stock about 10 to 15 fish and only 3 of them are really bad I have noticed, so not alot to be bad about. As I have had mixed views of this, I believe I have to make the thought myself. Im going to go ahead with it and see how it goes, if goes well then I will be carring on, if not then I wont rescue anymore. I think Im doing best for the ill fish in the long run.

I thought they lived for 2 years and were 7 months when sold? Either way, not much time.

I have to agree with Curiosity, supply and demand

They live for 2-5 years and are sold roughly around 3 months to 5 months. Depending what shop they are sold at and who the suppiler is.

There is bound to be mixed opinions and i think it is a good thing and bad thing to do. You could go ahead with recuign and write letters at the same time, or get the RSPCA involved to do an inspection there! :good: Some bettas can live to 6 years or so on, depending on how there looked after. One of my good friends has a 5 year old betta that she bought from a pet shop and hes still really good!
Why not save 1 fish? 1 fish is better than non ig uess, i dont want to start an argument here its just a clash of opinion im not saying its right or wrong.
Amanda, i know you'll do what yout hink is right :good:

Cheers for the imput and what you feel.

Once again guys, very happy for what has been said and the opitions people have given so far. But Im going to follow my heart and what I feel best.

There is bound to be mixed opinions and i think it is a good thing and bad thing to do. You could go ahead with recuign and write letters at the same time, or get the RSPCA involved to do an inspection there! :good: Some bettas can live to 6 years or so on, depending on how there looked after. One of my good friends has a 5 year old betta that she bought from a pet shop and hes still really good!
Why not save 1 fish? 1 fish is better than non ig uess, i dont want to start an argument here its just a clash of opinion im not saying its right or wrong.
Amanda, i know you'll do what yout hink is right :good:
Re: age. Recently while googling around, I found an article that said that (chain shops here in the US) like Petco and Petsmart often sell smaller fish, so if you're going to buy a Betta it wouldn't hurt to stop in there and hunt for younger fish. The other day while I was in there, I came across a double-tail that had identical coloring as my male one does. He was about 1/2 the size. That is when I realized my betta is already over a year old. Kind of sad. I hope he lives a few years (I just bought him around August).

I live in the Uk so no chance of that lol.

I hope your betta lives a little longer too, he sounds a very pretty colour.

Most reactions

Back