What`s Prime ,and What Does It Do?

maisy12345

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi ,keep hearing about Prime ,[is it the same as stresscoat],if not what does it do?

It's a concentrated dechlorinator that shifts the Ammonia-ammonium equilibrium so that it favours the production of ammonium, thus reducing the concentration of ammonia and making it into a less toxic molecule.

It's pretty similar to stress coat, they both perform the same function, but only Stress coat+ removes ammonia.

Thanks,i use stress coat plus ,it`s got aloe vera in it as well,and it does work,whenever i do a water change and test the water afterwards,the reading is always 0,whereas before, a lot of the time it was 0.25,because my tap water was 0.25.

The advantage of prime over other dechlorinators is that it's more concentrated. My tank is 10 x the size of yours and it took me over a year to use a 500ml bottle, which cost me about £12 off eBay.

I used to use Stress Coat, and if I recall correctly it's about £8 for a 350ml bottle or something? And then it's 10ml per 50L for water changes?

Prime is 5ml per 200L. In your situation Maisy, you would only need 1ml of Prime for a 100% water change, and that would be slightly overdosing. Once you upgrade your tank it would be about 3ml for a 100% water change.

So (gives the rusty old maths part of her brain a kick) with 50% water changes once a week (1.5ml each time), it would take you about 6 and a half years to go through one 500ml bottle.

For £12. [EDIT: plus £1 for a medicine syringe from your local chemist - by far the easiest way to measure small doses]

That's a good deal in anybody's book ;)

I am gonna switch to Prime Maisy after hearing all the good reviews on here. I think most people here use it. At the mo I have just the API tap water conditioner but when that is finished I will get prime.

Thanks all ,i might too.

Yeah there's no reason to chuck out what you're using now. My API tap water conditioner is fine, I've had no problems. I have a small bottle of it so when it's run out I'll get Prime. It's recommended on here and most use it so I'll get it instead. But I won't waste what I have I'll just wait until it's all gone.

Most reactions

Back