What Made You Decide To Set Up An Aquarium?

Platy lover

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am curious, what made you guys decide to set up aquariums? I did because my friend gave me a betta which bit me with the fish bug and I begged my parents to let me keep fish. They gave me a 2.5 gallon then I won a goldfish at a fair and I read they needed at least a 20 gallon filtered aquarium. They bought me a 29 gallon aquarium after my goldfish died and I have never looked back. I had a few bump in the roads with it but I am still learning

My brother had a tank, so I wanted one!

Westwood

I had a small space on my desk that I just wanted a goldfish for. My sisters both had fish tanks some years ago, without a filter or any of that and they survived a surprisingly long time, especially knowing what I know now.

My plan was just to go with a fish in a bowl, but as I did more and more research and discovered that goldfish NEEDED a filter, and the only difference between goldfish and tropical fish was a heater, it quickly evolved to the point where I was buying my 60L tank.

I had fish as a kid and it lasted 10 years, then 1 time I moved house and never moved the tank with it. So I didn't have any fish for over 10 years and had no plans to re-start the hobby.

Then the hotukdeals site showed that Aldi had a complete set-up for £40 and I couldn't resist. 5 more tanks quickly followed...

Morbid as it sounds my brother died this day last year and my wife bought me my 1st tank to help me relax and take my mind off things.

i had some fish in a small tank that shouldnt have been in there, and i had an old 4ft snake tank in the attic.

solution - 4ft fish tank.

The way my husband wrote it in our Christmas letter: "....and for my birthday (insert my name here) got herself an aquarium!"

What I say: "...but he got to choose the fish"! lol

I started off wanting some guppies when I was younger from my nanny and then my mum and dad bought me a 60L for Christmas, later on I got given a small 10L by Hellesdon Barns Aquatics when I worked there.
Since then i have just been getting more and more.
Now I have quite a few varieties as you can see in my sig', tropical, brackish and water from the nearest "bec" water. (River)

We have had fish my whole life then out of no where my dad got rid of them, then my twin brother got some cichlids nice tank he had going until he washed it out with soap! He wasn't thinking
So i wanted a fish tank of my own for and also to have in my dorm when i went off to college so i got a 15g well then updated to a 30g and was going to put my 15 up not thinking I would have them both set up ya that never happen it didn't even make it to the box

My parents had a 120-liter aquarium before I was even born, so I've used to live with one for my whole life. When I was big enough, I started to take care of it as well.

When I grew older and moved out, I missed having an aquarium. I lived in flats too small to keep one (and the legal minimum tank size to keep fish in here is 40 liters) so I didn't have one. Finally, when I moved to a big apartment with my common-law-husband, we had enough space and money to have one. So at first I got my parents old one, and I had some black mollies and platies in it. Only after two months we desided it wasn't enough for us, so we bought a used 612-liter one with few fish it it. It's our pride and joy. We gave the mollies and platies away then because we wanted to keep big soft water fish instead.

Soon after that I wanted a smaller tank for shrimps and apple snails and I got one really cheap, and I'm loving it too.

Tomorrow I'm going to get my third aquarium, 200 liters! It's going to be our little project, we are trying to actually make it pretty. Our two former tanks are Ok, but not too pretty in our eyes, so we are trying to do something little aquascaping-like. We'll see.

Yes, we have used thousands of euros in aquariums in last 6 months, even when I'm a student with very little money, and I'm not regretting it at all! :wub: When you love something with your full heart, you'll do everything you can to keep doing it well. :) I haven't lost a single fish to a anykind of disease during my fish keeping. :good:

I was in P@H one day & decided to delve into the hobby, all the fish died, I now know why.

I thank them for introducing me to this fascinating, enthraling & mystical world.

Tom

My father got me a 2ft complete tropical set up second hand from a work college in my early teens. (in the 70s)

It had a bevelled polished chrome frame and hood and was made in the US.

Thinking back it was a real piece of craftsmanship, Wish I still had it.

Edit...Think it was probably stainless steel polished up like a mirror.

Most reactions

Back