What Kind Of Sand?

that CaribSea Black sand that was linked, I have some in my 200L and would highly recommend if looking for a JET BLACK SAND. its the only one ive seen that is truly jet black, and not a grey/black. it is very pricey tho, imo. there are a few threads around here about black substrates, even one in the photos section, black substrate photo requests, so u can see some options.

Any pure sand is silicon dioxide (SiO2) and this is one of the most inert materials you can get. It's the same thing as glass, which is used in test tubes and beakers and so on for its non-reactive properties (not just because chemists like to see their reactions ok!).

You have a bigger chance of a "silicate problem" from silicates leaching out of your tank walls than you do from a substrate. I daresay there are other chemicals present in the sand if people are having a problem with them.

Any sand that is safe for kids to play in will be safe for aquariums. Do you think in this litigatious age anyone would be able to risk selling sand that kids couldn't eat fistfuls of without getting ill?

Gas pockets also not a problem, if a "toxic bubble" gets released its contact time with the water is very brief, and then it dissipates at the surface.

Maybe some people do have problems but silicates and gas pockets happen all the time in nature and fish seem to survive!!

I am not saying play sand hasn't worked for lots of people, obviously it has. But some people have had issues with it that can be avoided. If someone is buying new sand and there is something just as cheap and even safer then why not go for that?

The OP specified black sand, so play vs. pool sand is pointless. I shared the sand that I know comes in black and should be a good option.

what's come from this is both types of sand are good for use in an aquarium. your contention, though, that PLAYSAND is some sort of unsafe (even potentially) cheap alternative. is incorrect. it just a cheap safe alternative.

have you ever seen JET black sand in nature?

there are black sand beaches... http://listphobia.co...0MostBeaut9.jpg

Google has many more in its image library.

most volcanic beaches have dark, black looking sand. but its not, that black, when you pick it up. and not JET black. lol.

I wasnt trying to be that picky about the black sand beaches. The sand is black, maybe not jet but it is black.
Even if I wanted pink sand, which I dont, it is good to know the options.
Thanks for the info.

I wasnt trying to be that picky about the black sand beaches. The sand is black, maybe not jet but it is black.
Even if I wanted pink sand, which I dont, it is good to know the options.
Thanks for the info.

lol, thats why i put JET black. i've seen a few black beaches myself. even so they don't look really black, unless you photograph them.

Most reactions

Back